Can a fertile egg be refrigerated and later be put in an incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jay2009begenner, Jun 15, 2009.

1. jay2009begenner

jay2009begenner Hatching

Jun 15, 2009
    Hi. I was just wondering if I could store fertile eggs in a refrigerator or what can I do to keep them safe until I can get an incubator. Any info will greatly help.

2. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Songster

Apr 24, 2008
    I am not an expert, but I have read here that you should not put them in the fridge. If you collect them, don't wash them and set them at room temperature until you want to hatch them.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Well..I have 2 in the bator Im doing a "test" on-they are due Wednesday! growing just like the others-they were in for a bout 5-7 days! wish me luck-with the temps getting hotter and there wasnt a pot in my house that was cool I just kept putting them in fridge-so the ones I had out for 3 days and the 2 from the ridge I wung it!

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Heres the deal:
    You shouldnt put them in the fridge, as the temps are cold enough to probably kill the fertilised blastoderm.

Notice I said "shouldnt" and "probably?" While what I said is true, it is also a fact that people do put refrigerated eggs in the incubator and they do hatch. Not as well, but it happens. It is simply that the odds are against it.

The best way to store fertilised eggs is at temps between 55 and 65 degrees, Rh of 65-70%. If you cant manage that, cool will do and try not to hold them longer than 10 days. Turn them, or tip their holder/cartons a couple times each day while they are in storage.

5. twinlights

twinlights Songster

Jun 26, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well, I am no expert, actually very bad at hatching.
    But, I put one of my EE eggs that had been in the fridge in the incubator and it hatched.[​IMG]
    I don't recomend storing them that way though.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
    Alecia Davidshofer likes this.
  6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I dont recommend it either-but I was just "seeing" if it would work for me because I am desperate to get hens for the fall and winter for eggs-My last hatch I got 12 roos out of 14! So I took every egg I had-that the broody didnt steal first and threw in bator-

7. jonty

jonty In the Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Voßfeld Germany
    I've used eggs out of the fridge with good results but better to keep them a room temp till needed.

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    About a month or so back, someone bought a carton of fertilized eggs from trader joes and hatched them. They had been in the refrigerator case.

Is it recommended? No. Can you hatch out chicks anyway? Yes.

9. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Songster

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Ive done it. I had 10 fridge eggs developing and one got stepped on day 15. Then for the remaining 9, only 5 hatched. All 9 probably would have if it hadnt been my EE eggs. I think there is something wrong with the genes in my two EEs. This has only happened with THEIR eggs. Nuts!!! Untill next year they are my only EEs [​IMG]

10. pax12

pax12 Songster

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    i heard it will still hatch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: