Can a frizzled Silkie be bred with another frizzled silkie?

Madi131

Songster
Jun 12, 2019
Perryville Missouri
I am well aware that you can not breed normal frizzled chicken with other frizzled chickens. But what about frizzled silkies? Or sizzles? Would their feathers still be messed up and brittle since they don't really have any true feathers? I have one polish frizzle rooster with all of the normal polish hens but I didn't know about the silkies feathering.

I am well aware that you can not breed normal frizzled chicken with other frizzled chickens. But what about frizzled silkies? Or sizzles? Would their feathers still be messed up and brittle since they don't really have any true feathers? I have one polish frizzle rooster with all of the normal polish hens but I didn't know about the silkies feathering.
While I have paired frizzles together, it really is not a good idea. A chick getting a frizzle gene from each parent is a frazzle. Most frazzle chicks DIS and those that hatch have brittle feathering, often with bare patches and possible internal deformities. Breed doesn't matter-frizzle should be paired to nonfrizzle. Silkied feathering should be paired together. If one parent isn't silkied then none of the chicks are silkied; but all carry the hidden silkied gene.

From Google:

People also ask
What is a sizzle chicken?
Any Breed of chicken can have Frizzle feathers, the most common are Cochins but there are Frizzled Polish, Rocks, and many others. Sizzles are Frizzled Cochin/ Silkie crosses. Many of us are working to develop a breed of Sizzle that breed true.Jan 17, 2010

I know I have posted what you already know, but did so to get it clear in my mind. I do not think sizzles are paired to sizzle.

While I have paired frizzles together, it really is not a good idea. A chick getting a frizzle gene from each parent is a frazzle. Most frazzle chicks DIS and those that hatch have brittle feathering, often with bare patches and possible internal deformities. Breed doesn't matter-frizzle should be paired to nonfrizzle. Silkied feathering should be paired together. If one parent isn't silkied then none of the chicks are silkied; but all carry the hidden silkied gene.

From Google:

People also ask
What is a sizzle chicken?
Any Breed of chicken can have Frizzle feathers, the most common are Cochins but there are Frizzled Polish, Rocks, and many others. Sizzles are Frizzled Cochin/ Silkie crosses. Many of us are working to develop a breed of Sizzle that breed true.Jan 17, 2010

I know I have posted what you already know, but did so to get it clear in my mind. I do not think sizzles are paired to sizzle.
I have 8 silkies right now. 9 if you count the one who stays in the house with us. Ones a satin showgirl. Normal show girl, and we also have a frizzled show girl. Well all 2 are show boys lol. But I can tell a big difference in the silkies with frizzle and with out frizzle.
Screenshot_20200327-225541.png

The grey one is frizzled. Even his comb goes forward instead of falling back. Its not very easy to see in that picture so here is another picture as him as a baby where it's a little more visable.
Snapchat-174918846.jpg
I will try to take a picture of him when tomorrow if it ever stops storming lol

Got some pics thought it was supposed to storm for the rest of the night. Luckily it stopped! You can tell he has the frizzle gene in him.
Dusty, Frizzle Silkie Cockerel-
Snapchat-303862849.jpg

Snapchat-106622259.jpg
Snapchat-159509400.jpg

Then just to show the difference, Midnight a normal silkie-
Snapchat-2035827089.jpg
Snapchat-1008301535.jpg
Snapchat-17024112.jpg

I have never truly understood how sizzles come about. Two silkied genes are needed in order for a bird to be silkied and only one gene to be frizzle, but genes come in pairs so how does sizzle happen as that would be three genes-two silkied and 1 frizzle? Modifying genes?

I assume the genes for silkie and frizzle are different genes? So you'd need two separate pairs- one pair has two silkie genes and the other one frizzle gene and non-frizzle gene. Like a white columbian needing genes for being white and columbian.

Back
Top Bottom