Can a goose live with, and guard, my 6 backyard hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by WichitaKSClucks, Mar 27, 2015.

1. WichitaKSClucks

WichitaKSClucks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2015
    Wichita, Kansas
    Im a brand new chicken owner. I'm a little nervous but maybe for no reason. Last week I got 6 pullets from Atwoods. Today, 7 days later, I got a baby goose (gender unknown), , thinking it would be a good replacement for a rooster to guard the hens and to be a great watch dog. Roosters are not allowed in the city. I brought the baby goose home and put him in with the 2 week old pullets and they are cuddling together and all is fine. The guy at Atwoods said the goose would be a great rooster replacement but not sure if he knows what he's talking about. Also, is this single goose going to be lonely later in life or will it think it's a chicken and hang with the hens? Will the goose need his own coop? Did I just make a huge mistake? Help.

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    you will have to see what happens as he grows...he may bond with the chickens being raised with them, may not. He can live with the chickens as long as there is enough floor space. He will not guard the chickens, but he will be a good watch dog to tell you when somethings wrong. Not the best rooster replacement, but i guess nothing really is. A rooster won't just sound the alarm, he will lay down his life fighting for the girls. anyways, he will be a good watch goose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by