Can a GREEN egg show up in a brown egg layer??

Quote:
I went through the same thing when I posted about my Splash Orp hen laying the Olive Eggs. I know my Orp is Pure, I have her parents and my hens came from Miss Prissy, TuffoldHen and Speckledhen. I also have not had EE hens on my place in months and the Orp was just a chick when I got rid of my last EE. I have gotten Olive Eggs consistently from my hen since she started laying, some are lighter and some darker, I will try to post pics of the last few I have. I also have some in the incubator growing, I intend to grow up some pullets to POL and see if they carry on the same gene as their mother.

Last edited:
I have never had that happen. But this could be a fun thing! Breeding high quality silkies that lay green eggs!!! Sounds like a fun project that could make some on some $$$ ... i definetly wouldn't mind finding any of those eggs in my mail box
wink.png

A recessive gene can hide for 10-20 generations or more. I am part native American, a few generations back. if my complexion was dark and not Irish pale and the eyes were different I would look very native American.

also it could be a random gene mutation, yea its rare, but mutations have to start somewhere right?

Here are pics of my Olive Eggs from my Splash Orpington hen, they are next to other BBS Orp eggs for comparison,

1845_picture.jpg

And the hen that lays them:

1845_picture_016.jpg

WiseChicks, just curious do you have Splash Silkies? I am wondering if that has something to do with this? Just grasping at straws
idunno.gif

Lockedhearts -

I have 2 black Silkies and 2 white Silkies in with a blue roo. I am going to isolate each of the silkies and try to figure out which one is laying the oddball eggs. I am going to set a batch of the blue eggs and see what happens! It will be interesting to see what the chicks produce at POL!!

I had eggs with me at work, so I put the 3 different color/shape eggs I am getting from my silkie pen on the flatbed scanner, covered them with a shirt and hit "Scan" it isn't great, but it will give you an idea.... email me at [email protected] and I will send the scan in an email.
smile.png

I am getting mostly normal medium sized light brown eggs. someone is laying long oblong cream eggs and someone is laying the blue/green eggs. It is funny when you can make a multi-color egg carton out of one pure breeding pen!! LOLOLOL!

Katie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom