Can a Hen be a Surrogate Mother If Never been a Mom Before?

Oh, duh. I knew that hah. Okay, I am pretty sure one of my Black Stars is the "queen" of their hierarchy. However, I am trying to figure out where the others rank. I am positive my other Black Star is number two but after that I am not sure. Any tips on how I can get better insight on their rankings?
Best way... Observations. I myself don't know their entire rank from top down. But my older group lives communily amongst each other. They always have from the start. Small disputes here and there like who's turn it was at the feeder small. When I introduced our 8 newcomers that's when the rank system really came out

This summer I gave my first time broody some fertile eggs i purchased and let her hatch them herself. She's turned out to be an amazing mum. Not sure if that would be an option you'd be interested in or not but it was awsome! She's low in the pecking order but the other girls steer clear of those babies. She picked her own nest in the coop and did all the work herself so it was really easy.

Yep observing is the best way to see the pecking order. I found watching when I give out special treats, who eats first and who isn't allowed right away. And then peeking when they roost at night, I enjoy watching them get their spots-very interesting.

Yep observing is the best way to see the pecking order. I found watching when I give out special treats, who eats first and who isn't allowed right away. And then peeking when they roost at night, I enjoy watching them get their spots-very interesting.
Best way... Observations. I myself don't know their entire rank from top down. But my older group lives communily amongst each other. They always have from the start. Small disputes here and there like who's turn it was at the feeder small. When I introduced our 8 newcomers that's when the rank system really came out
Aw, well in that case, I wonder if anyone knows about Sapphire Gems going broody? The one I was depending on was my Wyandotte, but she is definitely at lower rankings. But my Sapphire Gems are near the top/middle.

This summer I gave my first time broody some fertile eggs i purchased and let her hatch them herself. She's turned out to be an amazing mum. Not sure if that would be an option you'd be interested in or not but it was awsome! She's low in the pecking order but the other girls steer clear of those babies. She picked her own nest in the coop and did all the work herself so it was really easy.
That is very comforting to know! Unfortunately, I cannot give fertile eggs simply because I do not want to risk any males. I do not want any and don't want to love any that I'd have to give away. I had read roosters can get quite aggressive, even the non-aggressive breeds. I plan on having another baby soon along with the little child I have now and don't want to risk anyone getting hurt 😭. Or else I'd love to have fertile eggs.

Aw, well in that case, I wonder if anyone knows about Sapphire Gems going broody? The one I was depending on was my Wyandotte, but she is definitely at lower rankings. But my Sapphire Gems are near the top/middle.
Can't answer that in honesty. I just got both wyandottes and gems this year. Matter of fact they haven't started laying yet. But I believe my gems are close.

Wyandottes are usually higher on the pecking order, but it depends. This year, I had the highest hen hatch, she did amazing! She really knew how to protect them!

Attachments

• 69A696B0-409B-4743-9835-99311F0888C8.jpeg
    69A696B0-409B-4743-9835-99311F0888C8.jpeg
    649.3 KB · Views: 4
Wyandottes are usually higher on the pecking order, but it depends. This year, I had the highest hen hatch, she did amazing! She really knew how to protect them!
Aw she's beautiful! I would have thought so too but whenever treats or food is given, she is one of the last to grt any, mostly pecking on the ground while the higher ranking ones appear to eat from my hand.

Some birds go broody more than others and there is usually an alpha. Most of the other just follow along. Ranks can change. Some breeds tend to go broody more often. I set up my breeding pens after the first of the new year. I don't use broody's anymore but use an incubator. I put the birds I select for breeding in their coops and pens and after a month I start to collect the egg for the incubator. I give the breeder birds higher protein feed so the chicks will be nice and strong.

Back
Top Bottom