Can a hen be constantly broody?

KUG

In the Brooder
May 21, 2018
Hello,
I have 3 hens all 1 year old. Lacy, a bantem was broody last month. I did all the stuff to break her of it and it seemed to work and she went back to joining the other two free ranging during the day. For 3-4 weeks she was her normal self. Her "normal" is a panicky bird, not very friendly and a little bit of a loner. I've never seen the other two bully her, if anything I've seen her peck at the other two. When she was in her broody phase and I'd get her out of the box she would squawk and be anxious to get out of my arms. Now when I lift her out she doesn't fight me...she's kind of limp, but not as if she's weak and will relax in my arms.
A squawking argument occurs when the other two want to lay an egg, but she'll get off the nest, let them lay and gets right back on. She's been in this behavior for about a week and has laid an egg everyday until the past two days. She doesn't seem to be pooping in the nest.
Could she be going broody again so soon after her last broody phase? That was from approx. end of April for about 2 weeks then she was normal for about 3-4 weeks and then like this again for the past week. If she is, is this something she'll always do?
I've checked her feet for any injuries too, she seems fine and fine in every other way.
What's up with Lacy? Thanks for any insight!

:welcome Yes, she can be broody again. This is typical behavior of highly broody birds, and it is very likely something she will always do - lay a clutch, brood, raise and then repeat the process. I have had hens brood and raise as many as 5 sets of chicks in a year. Allowing a hen to raise a batch of chicks can sometimes increase the interval between spells.

:welcome Yes, she can be broody again. This is typical behavior of highly broody birds, and it is very likely something she will always do - lay a clutch, brood, raise and then repeat the process. I have had hens brood and raise as many as 5 sets of chicks in a year. Allowing a hen to raise a batch of chicks can sometimes increase the interval between spells.
Thanks for the quick response! I don't have a rooster, so should I keep trying to break her of the spell?

Last year my one year old Hen was Broody it seamed all the time too. She raised 3 Clutches and I broke her last fall. She has not gone Broody since..I was told the older they get the less they Brood..
Thanks! But I don't have a rooster, do you think I should keep trying to break her of this?

Back
Top Bottom