Can a hen die from being broody? 😥

Pics
We're not far from each other and my heat plates did fine over the whole winter last year, the plate you have is the same brand as one of my bigger ones. I would say it feels pretty warm though if you touch the plate? That's how they're meant to use them, touch their backs gently on the plate. Which is why many (Inc myself) recommend to put the back lower than the front to allow them to change positions.
Yeah the actual plate feels quite hot when I touch it, it’s just underneath doesn’t feel to hot. I slanted mine at an angle too, only 1 of them lays right at the back at the lowest point but most of them actually sit around the edges of the heat plate with sort of half their body’s in and half out.
I’m guessing by around 2 weeks old they will probably outgrow their box (they’re 1 week today), they’ll be slightly more feathered by then and will probably be alright in the little coop with a heat plate.
I’ve attached a picture of it, they’ll have the middle bit which is about as square meter. The picture is before I cleaned it

Attachments

• E7B1EFEB-5FA9-4783-99DF-56BB1FBD7786.jpeg
    E7B1EFEB-5FA9-4783-99DF-56BB1FBD7786.jpeg
    478.8 KB · Views: 7
Ahhh!!😤😤😤 went to start putting some bedding in the prefab coop for the chicks to moves in and those mites are there again! I thought I’d got them all, I used mite spray for about 5 days straight.
Is there any disinfectants people recommend or natural things I can use? Or should I just scrap the coop and look at something else for them.
I’ve still got time as they haven’t outgrown brooder yet, but I’m not sure if I want to risk putting them in that coop after losing my poor Silkie

Back
Top Bottom