Can a hen grow spurs!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LT, Nov 29, 2014.

1. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    I have a Welsummer hen who will be 3 years old in the spring. She has always had pronounced "buds" on her legs where spurs would grow if she was male. Well, in August, we added some 8 week old birds to our flock, and two of them ended up being "roos." We kept one and sent the other on its way. We have never had a rooster before. I just noticed that this Welsummer has 1/4" spurs or nails coming from those buds. Is this even possible!?! If it's possible, did the introduction of the rooster cause this?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  2. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    My two BO girls have spur buds too, and yes, I have heard of many hens who do indeed grow spurs.

I don't know if it is related to the new rooster's arrival or if it is just an age thing though.

- Krista

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The June before last I got five Welsummer pullets, and I noticed, as they were growing, one of the five had pronounced spur buds. She's now eighteen months old, and her spurs are half an inch long. Her name is Myrtle, and she's all girl, laying eggs and everything. She doesn't crow, though.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Not related to the young roosters at all, it's just an age/hormone thing. Some game breeds get wicked spurs fairly young at times, some dual purpose hens get them as they age.

5. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Fascinating! Thanks for the replies. This girl is a great layer when she isn't molting. And the spurs are now about 1/4" long. Chickens never cease to amaze me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by