Can a hen have spurs?

I have a sumatra Bantam pullet with spurs rivaling my cockerels of the same age but different breed. And many of my girls have the spur buds but not nearly as much development.
Yes reportedly common in Sumatras, my Sumatra large fowl hens all have buds at 7-8 months but no growth yet. Time will tell, but breeders recommend culling for anything less than two spur buds.

Here are some pictures for you all, sorry hard trying to do this in the dark. IMG_20180124_190041971_BURST001.jpg IMG_20180124_190131088.jpg IMG_20180124_190138284_BURST001.jpg

I have a Welsummer hen who began growing spurs before she was a year old. She's now five, and they are an inch long because I keep them trimmed.

I also have a Cuckoo Marans hen who has, not a pair of spurs, but just a single inch-long spur on one leg. I have no idea where the other spur is.

Neither hen has any other secondary male characteristics, and they both lay eggs regularly during the egg season.

I also have a Speckled Sussex hen who crows on occasion. She's also a normal hen in every other respect. She has no spurs, however.

By the way, the flock has two roosters, so none of these hens is vying for the job.

Yes reportedly common in Sumatras, my Sumatra large fowl hens all have buds at 7-8 months but no growth yet. Time will tell, but breeders recommend culling for anything less than two spur buds.

Hey Allen! Mine all have buds too but no spur growth for those Sumatra hens yet!! Fingers crossed!
Thanks for the helpful info about two spur buds for the Sumatra hens. A breeder was just telling me that he has found that with Sumatra breeding the spurs will add and subtract. In other words, Two spur Sumatra stag to no spur hen will yield single spur offspring.

Back
Top Bottom