1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can a hen lat a egg everyday

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by grannychicken54, Aug 31, 2013.

1. grannychicken54

grannychicken54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2012
    OK
    Hi I know this is a dumb question and I know the answer I think but I am going to ask the experts anyways. I have 2 Marans hens and 1 Ameracauna in a pen with a Black Copper Marans rooster I am getting 2 dark brown eggs every day the Ameracauna would not be laying a dark brown egg because of the rooster would she? I know hens do not lay a egg everyday or that is what I thought and I am sure they are all pure breeds no green or blue egg yet that is what the ameracuana would lay right. They are in a enclosed run and house so no one is getting in and laying. Thanks for any answers to my dumb question

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Several days in a row but never ever day for weeks at a time. There is a report of a Black Australorp laying 364 eggs in 365. I would consider 300 eggs in a year to be a major achievement.

3. i believe the highest for a BCM is 6.5 per week. Are they the dark brown eggs like Maran brown or light brown? roosters have no effect on the color of eggs only fertility, we have a EE roo with brown layers and still haven't seen a difference in color just a very stunning lack of feathers on the poor chooks backs. [​IMG]
    does you're amerecauna have a pea comb or single comb? also how old are they?
    they both are a very interesting breed and are a joy to care for

4. grannychicken54

grannychicken54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2012
    OK
    Thanks I did not think the roo would matter but I did not think the Marans would lay every day the eggs are dark Marans color the Ameracuana has a pea comb and muffs and bread the Marans are 23 weeks old and have been laying for 3 or 4 weeks.Thanks for your info they will slow down on thier egg laying soon I am sure

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by