Can a hen live alone? Or, need tips for integrating sworn enemies...

NH-McQs

Chirping
May 23, 2019
We had two flocks of two hens each in coops that share a hardware cloth wall (they can see each other). The two flocks are sworn enemies of each other and all attempts to integrate have failed. We aren't talking a few pecks, this is a battle to the death, fighting like I have only ever seen roosters fight.

The hens are all 3 years old now. Sadly, one hen passed last night, leaving a flock of two and a flock of one - still sworn enemies this morning (I checked). I do not plan to get more chickens after these three are gone. It is my understanding that hens should not live alone but I don't know what to do about my lone hen. She can see the other two at all times, is that enough? I don't want to add chicks as I would like to take a break from owning chickens. Should I try to adopt an older hen from a shelter? I worry about bringing in diseases and what if that integration fails? I don't want to cull the lone hen; she is the nicest one left. Any advice for me?

I have one 6 yr old left from a flock of 4 and 2 additional flocks. They mingle through the wire of their coops but are not together. My single lady is not bothered by living alone. She comes out with me and my dogs so she actually has more time with us then the others. She made it through this cold winter alone because she slept in the deep straw. Last week she surprised me with an egg. I see nothing wrong with her living out her life with us. She seems very happy.

Back
Top Bottom