Can a hen "turn" into a bully?

GingerLee

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 20, 2013
I have 3 hens and a roo. All are different personalities and have been all together since last fall. I have not had any problems with bullying until now. My Barred Rock hen has been constantly beating up my lavender orpington. My orp doesn't come out of the coop at all and is so nervous and just sticks her tail into the air when you come near her. I take her out of the coop so she will eat but my rock will come and attack her. She stopped laying and just runs and hides back into the coop. I have separated her as of today but don't really have a good place to keep her. Please help! What could the reason be that she is getting picked on? What should I do?

Unfortunately there is a pecking order in the poultry kingdom and also in the human world.
smile.png
Put diversions and extra treats in their area. I would try to change them up a bit by moving the "bully" out for a while...sorta a time out idea, maybe when put back in, she would be a sweeter being. Hang strips of cabbage, or other treats for them to peck on, it might help! Be sure that their area is big enough as well and good luck!

Last edited:
well, I have pulled the "bully" out and kept her away for a day. Then when she went back she went right back to being mean. So, today I pulled the being bullied one out and she managed to get her way back in and found her way right back to the coop where she is hiding. They are free range in about a little smaller hang 1/4 acre area. They have more than enough room and I am constantly putting bread and veggies out for them. Now, recently we had to get rid of a very aggressive barred rock roo and they were mated. She didn't get stressed but just within the last week started being a bully. Any more suggestions???

Back
Top Bottom