1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can a light be too bright for laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rudy Rooster, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Rudy Rooster

Rudy Rooster New Egg

Jan 12, 2009
    I have a 65W bulb in the coop. Is that too bright for the hens? I just put it in a couple of days ago and have a timer too.

2. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Rudy, it would be a matter of prompting bad behavior - pecking. At least, that's all that I can think of. You would need to watch for signs of that and decrease the amount of light if necessary.

As far as would 65 watts be enuf: it would be a matter of distance from the birds. Fifty feet away, that bulb wouldn't illuminate much. On the 8' ceiling of a 10' by 10' coop, that size would probably be about right. Can you and your birds read a newspaper when it is turned on? (Make sure you are down where they can see over your shoulder [​IMG].)

Steve

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I keep an 11 watt or 25 watt red light on 24/7 in my coops. I have a regular 15 or 25 watt regular incandescent light that goes on at around 5 am and off at 8 am. All of my girls lay pretty much an egg a day each.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  4. Rudy Rooster

Rudy Rooster New Egg

Jan 12, 2009
    Yea, I think that they can read the funnies easily. I don't think that they are pecking each other.

5. allisojo

allisojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2008
    Nuevo Mexico
    I've got a 60-watt lamp in my (small) hen house on a timer from 5 pm to 9 pm every day. Sun rises at 7 am. So they're getting 14 hours of light. My two laying pullets lay 6 eggs each in seven days; sometimes seven eggs each in a week. I don't know if this helps you. I hope it provides some information at least. Thanks.

6. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    first off, a candle is enough extra light to make the chickens lay eggs

I have two 150 W heat lamps on in my 12 x 16 foot coop 24/7 for heat mostly. I have 55 hens in there and a cage with baby turkeys. ,hence the heat lamps..

all my hens are really laid back and most of them are laying eggs despite the minus 20 degrees outside..

no feather pulling, no pecking, no fights. in fact I have a half dozen who want to be broody..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by