Can a mother hen keep chicks warm during a long freezing winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nature is a tough mistress. I happen to like a very strong flock. What survives, survives. Whether I brooded it or it's momma reared it, at some point the chick starts choosing how far to leave momma, how long, how far from the heat it goes, what it does if it gets wet or cold, or sees/hears a predator. Keeping to that rule, my flock has only gotten more capable. I lost a lot of birds and chicks those first years. And less every succeeding year. I won't break up a broody. She wants eggs, I'll let her go for it. I'm not God and it's her hormones. If she manages to hatch any I'll hang a light in her coop to help keep them warm at night. But the rest is up to her, their strength and fate.

I don't have "pet" chickens in little pens. They're free range birds, they do that. Bantam or not. Whether the turkeys or the guineas pick on them or not. Good weather or not. Those doors open at 7 AM they shut at 10 PM. Whether they're 3 days, 3 weeks or 2 years.

My girl was broody from Aug - Oct when I finally gave in and got her the four surrogate eggs to hatch. She was determined and losing weight. Was it cruel to then let her set for another 20-21 days to hatch and raise four chicks? Nothing cruel about it and would definately let her raise more if she goes broody again any time of year as I witnessed she was more than able to hatch and raise her first chicks.

Last night while collecting eggs, I dropped one in the fresh bed of shavings I spread over the weekend. My little Momma ran over and started using her beak to roll the egg. Where she was going to roll it I don't know but just thought it was interesting considering all the other hens paid it no attention.

For me, a first time chicken owner in Feb 09, it would scare me to go out and buy a bator and eggs and attempt to keep the temp, humidity, and turning and lock down all just right to hatch out healthy chicks.

Last edited:
Quote:
Sorry you feel that way. My hen had gone broody and I tried unsuccessfully to break her. My first broody by the way. IMO I thought it was cruel to just let her set on nothing and refusing to get out. I let nature take it's course and let her set on four eggs and (hatched two) only so she would get back to being a chicken and not starve. It is nature.
Now back to our regular program that the OP is asking.

We've bred a lot of the "natural" out of chickens, in order that they will continue to lay year-round, and if you think about it, "broodiness" at unfortunate times of year comes with the territory. A wild bird would not mate or lay eggs in the winter. We've distorted all that, and to claim that a broody hen hatching out chicks when the temperatures are below freezing is "natural", well, come on... Wait till spring, for goodness sakes, it's more humane for the babies AND for the poor hen that will be responsible. None of this is really "natural", but we can arrange it so that it is a little MORE natural, and humane.

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. Didn't chickens originally come from more tropical climes where the seasons aren't defined in terms of spring, summer, fall, and winter? Spring and summer being the only seasons.

Isn't broodiness one of the things that was bred out? If so then wouldn't broodiness be a return to a more "natural" chicken?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom