Can a new layer lay more than one egg?

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
So I had 5 chickens left that hadn’t laid an egg yet as of yesterday, an olive egger, an Easter Egger, a Sussex, a Brahma & a FBCM.

Yesterday after work, I found an egg in the shavings which were piled into a nest around it. It was olive green. This morning, I let the chickens out at sunrise, and I found an egg under the back roost, just about the same shade of green, but had speckling. I figured it was the same pullet. This afternoon I went out around 4 to let the girls out into the garden, and there was another olive egg, no speckling, in shavings piled like yesterday in the same spot. Could this be the same girl? Or do you think both my Easter Egger & Olive Egger started laying and happen to lay almost the same shade but one with speckles?

Here is a pic of the 3 eggs in 2 days:
1673398598651.jpeg

It's possible, but unlikely that one new layer laid two eggs in one twenty-five hour cycle. You are in a better position than we are to spy on your layers and see who's laying and to match up color of eggs to a specific individual.

A short cut to spying is to take some non-toxic food dye and paint the vent with it. This will leave a streak of color on the egg and you will then know for sure of the source. Of course, you will need to use a different color for each layer. I've never used this trick, so I don't know how well it actually works, but it's worth a try.

It's possible, but unlikely that one new layer laid two eggs in one twenty-five hour cycle. You are in a better position than we are to spy on your layers and see who's laying and to match up color of eggs to a specific individual.

A short cut to spying is to take some non-toxic food dye and paint the vent with it. This will leave a streak of color on the egg and you will then know for sure of the source. Of course, you will need to use a different color for each layer. I've never used this trick, so I don't know how well it actually works, but it's worth a try.
I used the method to track a bird of mine that was laying olive. It was successful, though had unexpected results. She eventually stopped laying olive, & soon were just plain brown.
Of course no one believed it was the same bird.
20201120_150012.jpg

20201104_222618.jpg

Both eggs, same color blue food dye, from one pullet.

Only conclusion I can come up with is she stopped with the blue eggshell pigmentation somehow. They were olive with blue interior, then no more blue interior shell, just brown outside, & white inside.

Last edited:
Is it possible the egg that was under the roost was there earlier, but unnoticed? The speckling on a hens egg can be different on each egg. The color does appear to be the same hen for all 3.
I thought of that, too, but I scoop poop every morning and it was right in the line where the poop would have been. Way to big to miss it. Lol.

Thanks. I’ll have to grab some this weekend if I don’t figure it out before then. If it is two different pullets, man, what are the chances they have the exact same shade? 😂 I got the Easter Egger at a local hatchery and Olive Egger from Ideal, so not even a chance they mixed up one from the same group.

Currently my Olive Egger pullet from Meyers can't just lay Olive, she bounces between Olive, & Turquoise. She's the only green layer in that coop currently, my Green Queen hasn't started laying yet.

Waiting for the Green Queen, Crested Cream Legbar, & Black Ameraucana to start laying.

Back
Top Bottom