Can a Pullet Crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by innof8happinesses, Jun 10, 2009.

1. innof8happinesses

innof8happinesses In the Brooder

Mar 18, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Hello,

We have a 3 month old Buff Orpington. She looks just like our adult BO hen. She was previously in a run with only roosters. The roosters are gone now. And she is only with one other pullet at this time. (They are separate from the adult flock). There is absolutely no rooster appearance to her., but maybe we are wrong? Before the roosters were gone she started crowing with them. This was a total shock to us! Now this evening, she crowed again. It is a pathetic crow like a squeaky toy that makes noise when you squeeze and a pause then again noise when you release it. But it is no doubt a real crow. So, is it possible for a pullet to crow or am I just out of luck and I have a rooster incognito?

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Can you post of a picture of her?

3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    Lexington, KY
    If she's crowing at 3 months, it seems unlikely that she's a pullet... sorry.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We need a pic.

But!... I have had a hen try to crow before. Pretty funny and we had to rehome her.

5. I have a hen that crows. She very seldom tries anymore since now have a rooster. But, sometimes when a young rooster tries to crow she will answer him. And she is laying now too. Some of the young roosters are her babies.

6. Maryallison

Maryallison Songster

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    I had a 4 week old crow....and it was the funny pathetic crow you are talking about. It was like everytime our big polish roo would crow the little guy would let out his raspy little crow. It was really funny.

7. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yup, hens can crow, esp. without a roo present. Give her time. Maybe she will crow when she lays an egg.

8. innof8happinesses

Mar 18, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Here "she" is... Its dark so I can't get a better pic right now. This picture is about a week or so old.

[​IMG]

9. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Well...I vote for crowing pullet. She looks like a girl to me!

10. innof8happinesses

Mar 18, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Yeah!!! I want her to be a pullet. Everytime I look at her (and I do a lot), she just looks like a "hen to be"... but then to see her crow is just dumbfounding!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: