Can a racoon open a barn door latch?

About a month ago I caught a raccoon after I noticed fish guts were dug up from the mulch pile. I set a trap and made the mistake of letting it go, because I figured my set up was strong enough, it had also dug up dead chickens from a dog attack a week before. Then 4 days later I catch a baby so now I'm afraid they will open my barn doors that my coop is inside, we have 4 door to the barn with the same twist latches. I bent nails to put in were the lock goes. It would be too much of a hassle for locks so are carabiners coon proof? Inside the barn It would be easy for a coon to get into the coop, I have open vents on the top and a chicken wire door that one could easily break/crawl through, the barn is solid other than the doors.
Here is what I say about raccoons:
If a second grader can open it, so can a raccoon.

They are amazingly adept at defeating, what they see as, a barricade to dinner.

Yes. Secure Latches Are A Must.
About a month ago I caught a raccoon after I noticed fish guts were dug up from the mulch pile. I set a trap and made the mistake of letting it go, because I figured my set up was strong enough, it had also dug up dead chickens from a dog attack a week before. Then 4 days later I catch a baby so now I'm afraid they will open my barn doors that my coop is inside, we have 4 door to the barn with the same twist latches. I bent nails to put in were the lock goes. It would be too much of a hassle for locks so are carabiners coon proof? Inside the barn It would be easy for a coon to get into the coop, I have open vents on the top and a chicken wire door that one could easily break/crawl through, the barn is solid other than the doors.
Yes they will figure it out. They are very smart and very strong. I keep them out with very strong latches that are an effort for me to open. I do not trap raccoons. I shoot them. They aren't in any way endangered so killing them eliminates the threat. I breed ducks. They are much more vulberable than my chickens.

Last edited:
918B44FE-25E4-4567-852C-6868E4BA6371.jpeg

We went through the raccoon thing this last week. A family of coons started one night and killed two of my birds, pulling their intestines out. We trapped and caught a total of 5 coons over the next 4 nights. We put hardware cloth over any openings we could find, and they still came through. Finally found one hole in our roof that we did not see before. They were climbing a tree next to the coop and getting through the hole in the roof. Last one was the mother. After we trapped them, we took them 3 miles outside our town and let them go in the woods. I just got 10 baby French cuckoo marans through TC. Now I have to find someone to take 1/2 of them.

After we trapped them, we took them 3 miles outside our town and let them go in the woods.

Unless you own the property that you released them on this is DEEPLY unethical.

I live several miles out of town in the woods and you have no right to transfer your predator problem to me or others like me.

Cull them. Or accept them on your property. Don't give your problems to some innocent other person.

Good choices for locks - but first, animal meat products should never be thrown into mulch piles: horse, cow, chicken poop, leaves, grass and tree cuttings, etc. are OK.. Also if your coon visitors have eaten chicken or horse feed, they will not just go away and find a new buffet. They need to be relocated far enough away that your farm is no longer on the dining circuit. Also they will chew through all kinds of wire mesh fencing (I know) or climb up a tree to drop in to the coop. We cut tree branches that hang over the coop fence and have electrified the fence at the top - which has stopped night-time forays over the fence. The shock received is very painful (I know from personal experience) for climbers. Good luck, raising chickens is a hit or miss at first and later learning curve experience.

Back
Top Bottom