1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can a rocoon get in here

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by polk county, Oct 20, 2009.

1. polk county

polk county Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2009
    The only way in the house is through the eves. I have a plywood decking roof with 2x4's for trusses. I can fit my fist through the space between the top of the wall and underside of the roof. It look like its 4.5 inches. I would hate for a coon to get in there. I saw tracks by the lake today and one of my mangrove tree seedlings was dug up and eaten. They're here its only a matter of time before they try to get in
    The eves look just like this picture

[​IMG]
    Thanks for the help

2. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Definitly a weasle or snake could so I would put some metal wire up there.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes. Cover ALL openings. You'd be surprised what can squeeze in there.

4. catfish/okie

catfish/okie Chillin' With My Peeps

Coons can open ice chests, fish baskets, and minnow buckets. I wouldnt put it past them figuring out how to get thru there. I dont think a big boar could get thru there but a kit could.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Lots of critters can get through that opening, I recommend hardware cloth very securely fastened with screws and washers.

And [​IMG] !

6. polk county

polk county Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2009
    Thanks for the help everyone. I cant wait to get poked in the head with nails as I attach the wire mesh [​IMG]

7. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    YES, YES YES.
    I had the exact same eave openings on my old coop. I had stapled hardware cloth over all the openings and it took several years but one coon finally was strong or determined enough to rip the hardware cloth off and gain access and killed more than a half dozen hens in one night.
    The other thing about it was the sides of the coop were tin so he somehow scaled it or hung from the roof or something but the devil got in.
    Cover it up with hardware and big staples and when you think you have enough staples put some more in.

8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

This needs to be sealed, a full-grown boar coon can get in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by