Can a rooster train another rooster (behavior)

esme13

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 22, 2014
New York
I was curious is an older mature rooster could train another chick/ cockerel to behave if I added one. My alpha hen passed and she was the one who trained the current rooster. Unfortunately the other hens are not assertive as the alpha hen was, they are very flighty. So I was curious as my current rooster’s probably won’t survive another year (he’s very large).

Of course! Chickens are a quick study. Just watch a group of chicks together. They study the things that their brooder-mates do, and usually then try it themselves. That happens more and more the older they get...

We don't even need to teach new additions where the food and water is located, where the coop is, how to get in, etc because they just watch the rest of the flock and pick it up in a day or two.

I was curious is an older mature rooster could train another chick/ cockerel to behave if I added one.
Maybe.
It could also be a lethal 'lesson'.
Yes, chickens 'learn' things from one another, but males have mostly only one thing on their minds and that's to mate and destroy any competition.

I've had both. Usually it depends on the temperament of them. Then again most of the time when I have 2 in one flock they have 15-25 hens to tend and alot of room to stay away from each other.
Seems alot of problems with chickens goes away with space.

I have no idea how this rooster will react. He is good with everyone around him, including the dogs. I can only hope if I added a cockerel, that it would fall into line and be taught how to behaved. Any new additions I’ve added over the years, I always had my first additions teach them the ropes. But, I’m down to a 6 year old silkie and a very submissive 7 year old polish. All the others are 1 year old or 8 weeks old. I feel as if I’m back to square one.
And if numbers help, 20 females to 1 roo right now. 4 eggs in an incubator.

I have no idea how this rooster will react. He is good with everyone around him, including the dogs. I can only hope if I added a cockerel, that it would fall into line and be taught how to behaved. Any new additions I’ve added over the years, I always had my first additions teach them the ropes. But, I’m down to a 6 year old silkie and a very submissive 7 year old polish. All the others are 1 year old or 8 weeks old. I feel as if I’m back to square one.
And if numbers help, 20 females to 1 roo right now. 4 eggs in an incubator.
But have you ever had more than 1 male?
You've probably got at least 1 in the incubator ;)

But have you ever had more than 1 male?
You've probably got at least 1 in the incubator ;)
I think my free meal maker chick is a cockerel as well 😂 hoping my eggs are pullets😅

Just waiting a little longer to be sure!

Attachments

• 66BC6D64-D478-4873-8953-629A2FD7E5FA.png
    66BC6D64-D478-4873-8953-629A2FD7E5FA.png
    7.2 MB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom