can a sebastopol goose starve herself if she lays on her eggs?

southernchicken9

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 4, 2011
augusta
Hello, I'm a new owner of a pair of white sebastopol geese. Last week the goose started laying eggs. She hasnt became broody yet and I havent touched her eggs. However, I'm hearing that she will die if I let her hatch the eggs. I was told that she will starve herself. I really dont understand this. Is this true?

I haven't raised Sebastapols but it defies logic.
Would a species or breed exist if they commit suicide before they raise their offspring?

Some geese will sit so tight they can literally starve themselves to death. I know this does happened on occasion from first hand reports.
If I have a duck or goose like this I physically remove them from the nest and place them outside while doing chores in the morning so they can poo, take a dip and grab a biet to eat and drink. Often they will try to come right back in before doing what they need to do so I block them from coming back in until I'm done with chores. Be mindful when removing them from the nest to keep their rear end pointing away from the eggs and yourself so they don't send a mega poo blast on you or the eggs. Also make sure to keep fresh water and food near their nest. Make sure to change their water daily.

No. she will not starve to death brooding eggs!

Just make sure food and water are available near to her 24 / 7.

Many people make the mistake of thinking the bird is not eating or drinking, because they will only leave the nest for very short periods of time and only 2 times a day, when there is no disturbance about.

If a bird ever dies on the nest it either because
1. There is no food available when they leave the nest as the other birds have eaten it.
2. The bird is sick - or getting attacked my mites in the nest which will drain her energy.

One of my young geese did in fact starve herself by sitting too long on her eggs. She seemed to go into some kind of trance-like state, and ignored food and water when it was put right in front of her. We didn't realise how bad she had got, being fairly inexperienced goose-owners, and I still feel pretty guilty about it.

However, if you just keep an eye on your girl and make sure she is getting off the nest to eat and drink, she should be fine, so don't worry too much!

I'm sorry, but I still don't believe it.
Birds have been brooding eggs since they evolved from dinosaurs. Shocker, they're still not extinct!!
All species of birds will either be fed by their mates while on the nest, take turns brooding with their mate or get off the nest daily to eat, drink and defecate.
Gyburc, what evidence do you have that she starved to death rather than die from one of the thousands of other things that kill birds.

All birds go into a trance when brooding, they still get off the nest daily to survive.
A friend of mine works thousands of geese every year. They all brood and never commit suicide via starvation.

Thank you all !!! This was very helpful. She is yet to become broody. She has laid about five eggs already. How many do they usually lay?

Hi ,This morning I have just buried one of my Ebden geese who, for all you unbelievers starved herself to death, obviously this is not a common occurance or has been pointed out the breeds would die out, however just like humans have different traits,people with eating disorders who will die for lack of eating so in the animal kingdom there will variations to the norm .Despite all our efforts whatever we did she refused to eat and drink and just wanted to brood even when she was removed from the nest and the eggs taken away she still wanted to sit on the nest, so along with a previous contributor i can personally vouch for a broody goose starving herself to death, I have other geese who are just fine and got pasture this goose just gave up.

I have been trying something different on my girls who will not get off the nest to eat or drink. I put some food on the top of the nest, just sprinkle it on and the girls will eat it. That way I know they are eating for sure... Then they will get off the nest to get water and do their business while out of the nest.

Back
Top Bottom