Can a silkie raise quail?

Wouldn't the chicken make the quail chicks sick?? I've read a million times don't mix chickens and quail because quail are fragile. When we first got quail we had ten, within a week six were dead. After some googling I blamed then being housed with chickens(separate pen, same hut), sense moving them the remaining four have been fine.

I have a breeding pair of California Valley quail but they hate me. I am getting one silkie that will live in the same coop as my quail. I will be breeding mine every year as meat and show birds. My plan is to incubate the eggs myself then put them under the silkie when they are about as big and tough as a chicken chick. The silkie will then help them grow up to be calmer and she will be part of the flock. I have a lot of fellow 4-H-ers that have done this with all kinds of game birds before. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Here are some pictures:

Best of luck to all of you who are trying the same thing!
I have a breeding pair of California Valley quail but they hate me. I am getting one silkie that will live in the same coop as my quail. I will be breeding mine every year as meat and show birds. My plan is to incubate the eggs myself then put them under the silkie when they are about as big and tough as a chicken chick. The silkie will then help them grow up to be calmer and she will be part of the flock. I have a lot of fellow 4-H-ers that have done this with all kinds of game birds before. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Here are some pictures:

Best of luck to all of you who are trying the same thing!
Hello, I was wondering how it went with the quail and the silkie? I’m thinking of trying the same thing

Back
Top Bottom