Can a Thorough bred horse do draft horse work?

Is the average thorough bred horse strong enough to be used the same way a draft horse is ment to be used? Pulling carts, plowing fields? That kinda stuff.
In short. No. A thoroughbred cannot accomplish the same things that a draft horse could. Similar things, but not the same. Can it pull a cart? Yes, a lighter one. Could it plow a field? Yes, with smaller, lighter equipment. 2 of my horses are trained to drive (well, 3 year old is in training) and I would never expect them to do draft horse work. That doesn't mean that with a proper collar they can't drag the arena or pasture though, as I often have them do.

great comments and thoughts...

My only add is that the half thoroughbred that I had, had the most delicate skin! Had to be so careful with him.

My draft had skin of iron...

I never have done pulling or cart work, but I would guess with a thoroughbred you would have to really watch the skin and be super overly careful with parts rubbing.

I won't comment on the physical ability as that's already been covered. But mentally, temperament wise I also think Thoroughbreds would be unsuitable for farm work. Farm horses have to be able to work with each other, side by side, one in front of the other without conflict. Speaking of experience with my Thoroughbreds....no, they do not play well with others! A work horse has to be sensible and patient--again, not a strong point in TBs. Thoroughbreds also burn a lot of calories and need a lot of food--would most likely eat the same amount as a Draft!

Back
Top Bottom