can a turkey lose weight???

Garin

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
loudoun co., va
Purchased two turkeys 16 wks ago. Did not understand that I was getting BBW turkeys. Ended up with a tom and hen. I understand that eventually they get too big and need to be culled.

here is what happened. Tom has been getting along fine and he is growing fast. On Sat. morning he slipped out of his nesting box and hurt his leg. He was immobile and frumpy all day Sat. I read on another Forum that you can give poultry aspirin. On Sun. I gave him 1 tablet every 6 hours. By end of day, he was very alert, perky, calling the hen and he could stand for a couple of minutes but still could not walk. Continued the regiment on Mon. By end of Monday the bird had walked about 50 steps total. This morning he walked to the feeder about 25 steps. I think the leg will heal, but he will have a limp due to his size.

Here is my question; If I ration his food, will he lose some weight?

Like I said, I know eventually he will need to be put down, but I did not think I would have to do it so soon. Tom is 19 weeks old and he is on a 16% protein layer feed.

They're designed to only have weeks to live, so if he's down on his legs because of a fall, you may want to consider eating him sooner than the original butcher date.

And yes, turkeys can waste away to nothing if you aren't careful, but being a Broad Breasted, his heart won't be able to keep up with him. Not to mention his legs...

Back
Top Bottom