Can African Male Goose find happiness with a Patriot Female need expert advise before I jump in

TerriL

Songster
10 Years
Oct 16, 2009
Holden, Missouri
Hello, I had written you all about my female goose dying and my male was so sad. Well I have since had an offer of a female Pilgrim Female to help with his sorrow. I had some concerns about the size difference and the fact they are not the same type of goose. Does anyone out there have any experience with Goose social interactions. Thanks Terri

Last edited:
I think I read about your poor gander. Did you mean Pilgrim goose, or is this a breed I have not heard about? I'm not sure how much larger the African gander is, but I hope he sees her as a potential friend.

I've seen two kinds of Africans ... those GIANT ones, and the smaller slimmer ones?

Either way, I doubt size would truly be an issue between a pair. It's going to depend how he sees her and bonds to her, but I'd say the chances are very, very good that they will get along just fine.

If she is healthy and you have no other worries, I'd say go ahead and give it a try. I know how lonely a goose can be when they lose their mate. I had a gander lose one this spring, and he was SUCH a sweet, attentive guy. Fortunately, he was young and switched his affections readily enough to a new goose (the rascal).

I have mixed various breeds of geese before. They don't seem to notice the difference. I have more trouble keeping them separated, when the Pilgrim goose yearns for a male Emden, and so on. :)

Hope it works out for you and for your gander. :)

Yes the two will breed and create mixed breed offspring. Also is the African hatchery stock or from a breeder? Breeder Africans are much larger and that would be more of a concern to me. If hatchery stock I don't think it will be much of a issue

Hi yes you are correct Pilgrim (I knew it had something to do with early history).
Thank you for the explanation I was wondering what Patriot Geese were.
smile.png

I got these geese as adults from someone else so I dont know much about them. The female weighed about 16 lbs so I dont know what he is but the closest picture I see is the African. I thought he might take up with the ducks since that who he lives with but I guess just not the same. I ordered a couple of babies today and will get them next week so he will have a choice he can just be father goose or they can be a big family. Terri

I got these geese as adults from someone else so I dont know much about them. The female weighed about 16 lbs so I dont know what he is but the closest picture I see is the African. I thought he might take up with the ducks since that who he lives with but I guess just not the same. I ordered a couple of babies today and will get them next week so he will have a choice he can just be father goose or they can be a big family. Terri
He maybe Father goose when they are babies but He will deff be their mate when they are old enough. And he may not like them at all so be ready for anything.

Miss Mydia, I know that is a possibility and overnight I rethought that and decided not to do the babies. I am suppose be scaling down my operations because I am disabled but I can't help myself. So I will just go with the Pilgrim female and hope they at least become friends or at worst put up with each other. Thanks Terri

Back
Top Bottom