Can all different breeds live happily together?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 2emma2, Jul 16, 2011.

1. 2emma2

2emma2 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Say I were to get 6 hens total. Could each be of a different breed and that be ok? Or would I have to have maybe at least 2 of each breed for them to be happy?

2. HatchingFever

HatchingFever Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    The simple anser is yes they can all live together.

3. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    It doesn't really matter most all breeds can be together [​IMG] In my flock each of my hens are a different breed and I have no problems

4. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I've always had a variety living together. No issues.

5. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:YES, yes yes, especially if they are raised together. All of mine are different breeds. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Sparklee

Sparklee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Quote:You bet! However, there does seem to be a tendency for "birds of a feather flock together" to occur. So getting 5 white birds (2 White Rocks, Delaware, White Orpington, White Ameraucana) and then a Speckled Sussex (or Polish or Salmon Faverolle) would likely put the Speckled Sussex as one that would be left out a bit and would likely be low on the pecking order which means that it could get "picked" on a bit. Chickens really do pay attention to which birds look like them. It makes a difference. So maybe make sure that there's at least two on any one color so each will have at least one friend. Meaning a Buckeye and a New Hampshire would probably see each other as close enough in color to run around together. You can still get six different breeds. But your may have a different experience. Social order dynamics are somewhat unpredictable since the number of variables can be so large.

Have fun with your chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by