Can Amerucaunas/Easter Eggers be barred?

Eliza1313

Chirping
Mar 26, 2015
I picked up three pullet run chicks from the local feed store last week that they had labelled as Amerucaunas (they usually get their chicks from Ideal Poultry). Two of them are basically white, with the ear puffs/curls. The other is a barred coloring and no ear puffs, she has the greenish blue tint to her legs. I know that both Barred Rocks and Barred Hollands aren't supposed to have that color of legs. Is there another barred breed that can have the blue/green legs? Or am I going to have an Olive Egger?

If your barred bird has greenish legs, it is an Easter Egger that Ideal has bred by crossing either an Ameraucana or an EE with a barred hen. Whether or not it will turn out to be an Olive Egger depends on what barred breed was used in the cross. Cuckoo Marans (which are barred) have the chocolate eggs necessary for crossing with blue egg layers to produce Olive Eggers. Other barred breeds such as Barred Rocks do not have brown eggs that are dark enough to produce Olive Eggers and the eggs will be a paler green. As are as your birds being Ameraucanas, Ideal Poultry doesn't sell true Ameraucanas; only Easter Eggers.

They look like Polish crosses to me, but I am no expert. The crest is usually a Polish trait, but their bodies look too bulky to me to be Polish. They could be crossed to an EE and still lay the colorful eggs.

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I haven't bought them yet, just thinking about it. The seller hasn't answered my questions, so I wanted to find
out what breed they are

They do seem to have the remnants of a crest, so could be Polish x or Legbar x? Would this make them an Easter Egger?

The black one seems to have green legs.

I am hoping for greenish/blue eggs as I do egg carving. Unfortunately, Easter Eggers don't seem to be available here in NZ.

Regards

I picked up three pullet run chicks from the local feed store last week that they had labelled as Amerucaunas (they usually get their chicks from Ideal Poultry). Two of them are basically white, with the ear puffs/curls. The other is a barred coloring and no ear puffs, she has the greenish blue tint to her legs. I know that both Barred Rocks and Barred Hollands aren't supposed to have that color of legs. Is there another barred breed that can have the blue/green legs? Or am I going to have an Olive Egger?

Is the bird in question black and white barred? I didn't think Ideal was doing Olive Egger but haven't been on their site for a while.

Back
Top Bottom