Can an egg bound chicken poop?

There are other signs to tell if a hen is going broody.
There are other signs to tell if a hen is going broody.

1. Look on her breast. Are there bald strips along her keel bone?
2. Is she behaving fussily? Is she emitting a rapid low volume clucking while out in the run? Do the other flock members seem irritated with her behavior?
3. When she is touched while sitting on the nest, does she scream at you while flattening herself on the nest?
4. Does she periodically puff up her feathers while in the run while suddenly emitting a scream?

Yikes not sure, looked up where keel bone is but haven’t seen close up today.
2. Yes! Clearly yesterday I noticed that behavior. Do the other flock members seem irritated with her behavior?
Mostly they ignore her but kind of always do.
3. I’ve noticed she’s like a cat. Tries to tolerate me poking & prodding her body parts. Then hisses like a cat - “I’ve had enough of you - stop!” Mostly I reach under her belly and she’ll raise her body, no moaning.
4. Haven’t seen this behavior.

I’m leaning towards thinking she’s broody. “Get her something to hatch” - Should I just place someone else’s freshly laid egg while it’s warm? Prolly should give her at least 2 in case they hatch?
set some food and water close to her nest. if you've got a rooster, I would give her 4 eggs, to account for unfertilised or unviable birds. if it's a good hatch you might even get all four!

set some food and water close to her nest. if you've got a rooster, I would give her 4 eggs, to account for unfertilised or unviable birds. if it's a good hatch you might even get all four!
Well I was able to place a total of 3 freshly laid eggs in “her spot” today. None were eggs she laid. Saturday was the last time she laid an egg but I ended up removing it cus I didn’t think she was broody. She came down from henhouse/nesting box today the same time as yesterday. While she seemed to be taking a snack and leg stretch one of Wyandottes swooped in “her spot” to lay an egg. Luckily that hen didn’t take long. Then ‘Fluffy’, the silkie of concern, promptly went back to her spot. 1 of 3 eggs were placed underneath her, then another was laid by our big hen and immediately after that I placed another egg before Fluffy was able to return.
Fluffys movement doesn’t seem guarded like she’s uncomfortable. I guess time will tell. We’ll continue to watch all our birds very closely.

I continue to welcome and appreciate all input.

Back
Top Bottom