Can an egg bound chicken poop?

Yes, give both halves next time. She's obviously feeling something hitting her shell gland.

She's probably having an issue with cycle regulation. I suggest continuing the daily calcium supplement daily for the next seven days. How many milligrams is the calcium tablet? For her size, I'd limit her daily dose to no more than 150-200mg.

As for the soak, many hens do not like it. For those, I do not recommend the soak. But for those hens that enjoy it, go for it. But probably no more than 20 minutes.

Yes, give both halves next time. She's obviously feeling something hitting her shell gland.

She's probably having an issue with cycle regulation. I suggest continuing the daily calcium supplement daily for the next seven days. How many milligrams is the calcium tablet? For her size, I'd limit her daily dose to no more than 150-200mg.

As for the soak, many hens do not like it. For those, I do not recommend the soak. But for those hens that enjoy it, go for it. But probably no more than 20 minutes.
Please know that I am grateful for all your input.

The smallest dose available at drugstore was 400 mg.
Does it matter to give the calcium before or after the bath? Thankfully she really enjoys the soak. One soak a day or more?

Look on the back of the bottle. In very, very small print is the amount of milligrams in a pill. In the US vitamin labeling is extremely misleading. I think you may find that it's 200mg in one pill. We discuss it in my recent thread here. backyardchickens.com/threads/human-calcium-tablets-for-a-sick-hen-how-much-is-actually-in-each-tablet-and-how-much-to-give.1606610/

Checked before leaving house, she’s still in nest box, mostly alert for 6:30 AM, but she didn’t get up, brief groping presented no egg. Will check supplement bottle. I look forward to reading the thread.

You were right about the dosage labeling. 2 tablets = 400mg. Ugh I should have recognized that. She enjoyed another warm epson soak, followed by a giant poop. Kept her separated for few hours. She ate and drank but never really relaxed. And no egg. She doesn’t seem uncomfortable just out of sorts and restless. Put her out to forage with the rest of flock. Our too kept her from going towards the coop until he got distracted then she headed straight to same nest box. Hopefully if she’s just broody keeping her on a week of daily calcium will be safe.
She’s so fluffy and pretty with these daily baths, lol, I kinda want to bathe a few other messy hens… if I had a few extra hours in day.

Look on the back of the bottle. In very, very small print is the amount of milligrams in a pill. In the US vitamin labeling is extremely misleading. I think you may find that it's 200mg in one pill. We discuss it in my recent thread here. backyardchickens.com/threads/human-calcium-tablets-for-a-sick-hen-how-much-is-actually-in-each-tablet-and-how-much-to-give.1606610/

big poops, infrequent, staying in nest, less laying? sounds like a broody bird to me. maybe get her something to hatch?
Gosh I hope she’s broody and not egg bound. Is there a particular way to know for sure or near sure. I left her last egg in nest box for almost a whole day. But took it out cus I brought her inside for several hours to soak and be alone and quiet thinking she may have had another egg backed up. Not sure how long an egg is viable without being kept warm. She seems to only eat, drink & poop after a soak.
When placed outside in large yard, she heads straight to coop and nest box. Worried if I leave her be to brood and she’s egg bound that I’ll lose her. 😬🤦🏻‍♀️.
Dang birds really grow on you 💕 🐓

Gosh I hope she’s broody and not egg bound. Is there a particular way to know for sure or near sure. I left her last egg in nest box for almost a whole day. But took it out cus I brought her inside for several hours to soak and be alone and quiet thinking she may have had another egg backed up. Not sure how long an egg is viable without being kept warm. She seems to only eat, drink & poop after a soak.
When placed outside in large yard, she heads straight to coop and nest box. Worried if I leave her be to brood and she’s egg bound that I’ll lose her. 😬🤦🏻‍♀️.
Dang birds really grow on you 💕 🐓
hmm.... she only pooed after you took hr from the nest.... was it large? was it normal bird crap consistency? have you gotten her xrayed? she sounds broody. if you are that worried, take her in for a scan.

There are other signs to tell if a hen is going broody.

1. Look on her breast. Are there bald strips along her keel bone?
2. Is she behaving fussily? Is she emitting a rapid low volume clucking while out in the run? Do the other flock members seem irritated with her behavior?
3. When she is touched while sitting on the nest, does she scream at you while flattening herself on the nest?
4. Does she periodically puff up her feathers while in the run while suddenly emitting a scream?

hmm.... she only pooed after you took hr from the nest.... was it large? was it normal bird crap consistency? have you gotten her xrayed? she sounds broody. if you are that worried, take her in for a scan.
Poops have been very large especially for a silkie, yesterday’s was also firm. Have only found 2 nearby vets for a previous concern and they took 2 weeks to get appt.
The advice here appears so much more valuable although yes a radiograph would seem definitive. Today I had to leave early AM, returned lunchtime, and she was roaming in the coop and socializing a little bit outside of coop, but sounds like she was only out 45 minutes then retrieved to nest box. She was seen eating and drinking. Honestly she doesn’t seem uncomfortable to move around.

Back
Top Bottom