Can an old foot injury make your chicken more prone to frost bite? (Photos)

Brittany:  Careful on the pen G.  I think the full name is pro-pen-G and the 'pro' stands for pro-caine.  Caines are a big no-no with avian medicine.  I researched and was going to get pen G as well and then talked to the vet the day I got the cephalexin and and she advised against it and when she said pro-caine all sorts of red flags went up and I then agreed with her.  you have been researching!  That I can tell!  Sounds like you got on the same threads as I did!    Somebody may have had success with it with their birds but I don't think it's worth that risk.

anyways  the Veterycin and  and Neosporin wrapped up (so the med doesn't wear off too fast) should do the trick.  Expect it to take a few months to heal.  You might have some tissue loss and the toe will be malformed after healing possibly.  But to be honest these chickens are sooo tough...it won't affect her too much.  The goal is to have intact skin around the injury.

OH!  I almost bought the Neosporin with "Caine" in it too!  you don't want that one...just the plain stuff without the pain "numbing' medicine.

My birds loved their high roosts SO much.  I hated moving them down...but really it's so worth not having them with these toe injuries.

Thanks choptank....it's always so good to hear from you!  Your Roo in your Avatar is a stunner~!

Thank you !!!! Salmon Faverolles :)

Try softening it with the peroxide and q tips and it should crumble away or peel away fairly easy with some working of it back and forth. You'll be able to see a reddish wound base at that point your done cleaning away extra eschar or exudate that's crusted into a scab. The neo sporin is going to help soften and help any extra gunk fall away too. I don't think it's the pine needles. I think just these high roosts and then they flutter down to fast and hard hitting a corner or something hard in the coop and that's what does it. After this happened to my Roo I looked over the rest of my flock and I even had a bantam and another hen each with a broken toe or jammed toenail. Although their's did not freeze. And they were so much lighter than my rooster. IDK. It's just a hard lesson. Chickening keeps us humble that's for sure.

I think my room has leg mites
sad.png
I have got to bring him inside and try to wash his legs off and get them coated with some kind of oil !
Oh no...! Isn't Nu Stock good for that? Read that on the natural chicken keeping thread. It's got sulfa or sulfur in it and I don't think the mites like that or can survive with that active ingredient...You could try bag balm (in the square green tin) if you have that handy as that has Sulfa in it too. IDK...I haven't researched that one too much. ***knock on wood*** I won't have to...but it's that time of year those sorts of critters are looking for a warm set up for the winter I guess.

Brittany: Careful on the pen G. I think the full name is pro-pen-G and the 'pro' stands for pro-caine. Caines are a big no-no with avian medicine. I researched and was going to get pen G as well and then talked to the vet the day I got the cephalexin and and she advised against it and when she said pro-caine all sorts of red flags went up and I then agreed with her. you have been researching! That I can tell! Sounds like you got on the same threads as I did! Somebody may have had success with it with their birds but I don't think it's worth that risk.

anyways the Veterycin and and Neosporin wrapped up (so the med doesn't wear off too fast) should do the trick. Expect it to take a few months to heal. You might have some tissue loss and the toe will be malformed after healing possibly. But to be honest these chickens are sooo tough...it won't affect her too much. The goal is to have intact skin around the injury.

OH! I almost bought the Neosporin with "Caine" in it too! you don't want that one...just the plain stuff without the pain "numbing' medicine.

My birds loved their high roosts SO much. I hated moving them down...but really it's so worth not having them with these toe injuries.

Thanks choptank....it's always so good to hear from you! Your Roo in your Avatar is a stunner~!
Procaine penicillin G is used by BYC members every day and has been for years. It is the drug of choice for staph infections, which is what bumblefoot is.

Eggcessive: Yes I've seen it recommended here on BYC and I went to a vet for syringes so I could use a vial of it I had ordered --She was an avian vet and said it was contraindicated in fowl because of the Caines. I'm going to go with what she said. You'll also find all sorts of red flags on BYC about the Caine family...so there is definitely a contradiction on BYC about procaine Pen G. I'll error on the side of safety, myself and ask for Keflex or Baytril.

The "caines" are used with caution in chickens. Veterinary students have written on here that they use those products in surgery every day without complications. The procaine in the penicillin is a small dose to keep it from being a painful injection. Some caines are used to control bleeding during surgery. The reason most chicken owners use penicillin for bumblefoot or other staph infections is that it is readily available at any farm store without prescription, as opposed to keflex, and baytril which has been banned from use in chickens by the FDA since 2005.

It's all sort of muddy water...because I think it comes down to how you treat your chickens: as pets or food. My Vet must lean towards the side of pets. As she was leary of the Pro Pen G for my Rooster and said if I decided to use this medicine that I would have to "keep an eye on him". I think also she heard in my story how I use him and it is simply for Free Ranging protection of my egg layers and basically a pet...He most likely will lead a full life and not be a meat bird for us. I think when the FDA bans an antibiotic they are mostly thinking of large poultry set ups in which everyday whether they need or not their water and food is laced with an antibiotic and it probably umbrellas us that just "dabble" here a bit in keeping our poultry healthy and watching out for us so if we eat an egg or a bird before the 1/2 life runs out on the med. IDK anything for sure about Poultry medicine--little more with humans as that's my background. I guess as it's always a learning process here for me and the chickens. I understand that there are different sorts of caines and the reason the Procaine is in the Penicillin is because in general it's pretty viscous and displaces tissues when injected and stings. Lidocaine with Epi is commonly used in surgery and the Epi is actually the ingredient that constricts vessels and slows bleeding. I think for my chicken set up I'm sticking with the others still...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom