Can an owl carry off a grown duck?

A Barred owl got inside our pen and killed my adult buff duck at dusk- not quite dark yet. There was a small area that was uncovered yet the owl got in there. Puncture wounds to my ducks neck
Owl wouldn’t let go was trying to fly off with duck
But duck too heavy. killed my duck pretty quick. Wouldn’t let go of my duck, tried to nudge tap with a light, yell at it.. finally I gave it a harder push with my boot then it let go.. too late though my duck didn’t make it

A Barred owl got inside our pen and killed my adult buff duck at dusk- not quite dark yet. There was a small area that was uncovered yet the owl got in there. Puncture wounds to my ducks neck
Owl wouldn’t let go was trying to fly off with duck
But duck too heavy. killed my duck pretty quick. Wouldn’t let go of my duck, tried to nudge tap with a light, yell at it.. finally I gave it a harder push with my boot then it let go.. too late though my duck didn’t make it
Falcons will do the same!

We lost one of our khaki campbell hens last summer to a flying predator just before sunrise. We searched for her and only found one feather. Recently, my husband went out in the evening to check on our flock and spotted an owl sitting on top of their pen!
:barnie:eek:
Everyone wasn't safe. Needless to say, we have changed the times the birds are let out and when they're returned to their coop.

I think we lost a runner duck, possibly to a barred owl, last night. We have a patch of redwood forest over an acre in size adjacent to the pasture where we hear barred owls calling nightly. All that was left in the morning of the duck were the wings. Another duck had an injury on the back of its neck where feathers were missing. The fence is pretty tight against 4-legged predators, though I'm not saying they couldn't get in. Does this sound like an owl?

I think we lost a runner duck, possibly to a barred owl, last night. We have a patch of redwood forest over an acre in size adjacent to the pasture where we hear barred owls calling nightly. All that was left in the morning of the duck were the wings. Another duck had an injury on the back of its neck where feathers were missing. The fence is pretty tight against 4-legged predators, though I'm not saying they couldn't get in. Does this sound like an owl?
Hard to say but the only way you can really protect them is to put a top on your run otherwise its a crap shoot! I've got hardware cloth on all sides and down into the ground and the top is welded wire fencing. I don't worry about anything but snakes.

Back
Top Bottom