Can antibiotics cause a DEcrease in production??

MotherHen007

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2022
My chickens were sneezing and coughing. Vet recommended Tylan 50 twice a day for 5 days orally. We completed the round of antibiotics and my chicken’s symptoms are much better! However, their egg production has nosedived since I quit giving the antibiotics. I have 8 laying hens and 6 eggs a day is my average norm (even while they were sick before and during antibiotics). I’m now getting no more than 4 a day and sometimes none at all…otherwise they seem healthier (ie: no sneezing, wheezing, shaking of heads). What’s the deal?! Anyone know??

Thanks!!

Perhaps a delayed reaction to the illness?
Well they did quit laying altogether for about a week two weeks before I started them on antibiotics, but they picked back up after that and during the round of antibiotics.

Did you get a diagnosis? If Mycoplasma, for example, the Tylan will help for a while, but not cure the disease. And MG will affect egg production!
If your birds haven't been tested, get it done! Your state veterinary path lab will have advice and a testing plan for you.
Mary
Well I did talk to a state avian vet and he told me that he didn’t think it was MG but that even if so the chickens would still produce eggs once their symptoms were better 🤷🏽‍♀️

Well I did talk to a state avian vet and he told me that he didn’t think it was MG but that even if so the chickens would still produce eggs once their symptoms were better 🤷🏽‍♀️
Stress brings out mg so any temp drop/rise, new birds etc symptoms will show up again and they will stop laying

Having an actual diagnosis is best. How about testing, and was this a vet at the diagnostic lab/
Mary
When I called my state lab they just transferred me to this vet. I described everything. He didn’t seem to think testing was necessary at that point. My goal was to get them tested but after talking to him and him being more the expert then me, I just did what he advised with the tylan.

Back
Top Bottom