Can any one help me with waterproofing?

I gave this issue a lot of thought when I designed my coop. My solution was to put a piece of metal flashing above the coop lid, extending about 1/2 inch over the nest box lid gap. Then I used cabinet hinges whose throws allow the lid to come out and up and clear the flashing strip when the lid is opened. Also, I ran a strip of foam weather stripping along the gap to further prevent water/wind entry.

While this solution works, I would not necessarily recommend it, because it was a pain to construct. After all the work it has taken to build my coop, I've come to the conclusion that simple is usually better.
smile.png

Closed:
externalnestboxclosedha.jpg

Open:
externalnestboxopenshow.jpg

Closed Side Detail:
closeupnestboxflashingc.jpg

Open Side Detail:
closeupflashingnestboxo.jpg

Last edited:
I used rubber baseboard from the hardware store. It's the kind of stuff you would use in a bathroom, industrial appication, or kitchen instead of wood baseboard molding. It is about 4 inches tall so we just used construction adhesive and stuck it to the wall of the coop, ran it down onto the lid of the nest box...voila! After the glue dried we added a bead of caulk to the top edge for extra insurance.

We had the same problem. I solved it by running some rain gutter under the overhang of the roof, at an angle that drops down toward the back. Runoff from the roof gets caught by the gutter and never hits the nest box at all (at least, not at the point where it meets the wall). Works really well (and it was scrap gutter so it was free!)

we have a hinged bit of roof on ours, not the nest boxes but same problem.

i used asphalt sheet (roofing felt, whatever you guys call it), about 1.5" longer than the roof at the hinged edge, contact glued to the vertical wall so its properly sealed.

Thanks to all who have replied. This by far this is the best web forum regarding chickens. It is because of the very friendly and helpful people who always go out of their way to help.

Sillybirds your design looks fantastic and the workmanship on your coop is also. I think you are correct when you say simple probably is better. I just got the rubber blanket I posted about earlier and will give that a try. I will post pics when it is complete.

again thanks for all the help. I hope I can return the favor someday soon.
smile.png
thumbsup.gif

Lynnep Yes I will probably cover half of the run. As for the rest of the run I have a large snow thrower and I the Snow gets too deep for it I will have to resort to plans B,C and D which are my three kids and some snow shovels.
big_smile.png
Do you find they stay in when the snow piles up?

Back
Top Bottom