1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can any one tell if these are roosters

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Luddy, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Luddy

Luddy Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2016
    I recently bought these and was told they are all hens they said if any turned out to be roosters I could return to switch for hens. I'm just wondering if a couple are roosters :( the big white one is about 7 weeks and the rest 6 weeks old any help would be great I don't want the kids getting attached if there going back. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

The white guy in picture 3 and others looks to be a cockerel. [​IMG]

~Alex

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] While I agree with Alex I have to ask if these are Easter eggers or mixes? If so, I might give it a bit. Two years ago I had a pullet looking just like your white one. I would have sworn she was a cockerel. Even developed some curved boy feathering. Then that feathering fell out never to return and she's definitely a hen who lays some of my biggest eggs. Fast forward and I have 17 six week old chicks and one is hers, Looks exactly like her. I would say it is a cockerel by feathering but has a small pale comb. Looks exactly like the mother so it is in with the pullets and I'm hoping......
    Another thing I found, depending on how you hold your camera device (camera, phone, ipad) sometimes if it is straight on, the comb photographs looking much redder than it really is. Hoping yours (and mine) are both girls.

5. Luddy

Luddy Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2016
    Hi there suppose to be Americuna but the person I got them from got three different kinds at the same time so I'm guessing since only two have blue legs the other two are the other types she had silver laced wyndottes and patridge chancellor. She said she would switch them for hens or the type I wanted (Easter eggers for the kids) if they were wrong. I just don't wanna move them around again for a bit I think there still stressed from the move on Monday here.

6. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Agree with Alexandra33....All pullets but the white one (pretty). Maybe another picture of the tail & neck feathering, the comb looks like 3 rows & red which I've experienced as Cockerel. Also in the first picture with all four together, I see 2 with tinted leg coloring while the 2 in the center are "regular" coloring, they're probably a mix.

7. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    :welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by