can anybody help me choose a breed?

I'm very fond of Saxonys - i know they aren't on your list though. But they're very curious, very attractive, follow me around everywhere, have a lot to say when I'm around but don't make much noise when they're by themselves. Lots of personality. Big, heavy birds though - no lightweights. The boys let me pick them up - I think one may even like it (but he doesn't like to admit it to the others!).

I bought their eggs from ovabid.com and found other eggs that looked possible at eggbid.com.

And if anyone is in the SF Bay Area - my female produces a fertile egg every day that I can offer. At least I think they're fertile based on all the mating!

Quote:
I have two runners a Cayuga, a Rouen and a Crested blue Swedish. None are what I'd call friendly (don't like to be petted or picked up). But they are very social and are friendly w/each other.

Of these four breeds, the Rouen is the friendliest (will let me pat him a little and eats out of my hand, if I try ,w hich I don't much).

They come when I call (or mutter/quack if they're resting somewhere). I can herd them where I want them to go and they are a nice flock.

Good luck w/your choice, incubation and brooding. Wait until you see how fast they grow, it is AMAZING!

ps, a friend of mine has two Pekins and they are very friendly (but her two grandaughters played with them a few times a week).

Last edited:
Quote:
I have two runners a Cayuga, a Rouen and a Crested blue Swedish. None are what I'd call friendly (don't like to be petted or picked up). But they are very social and are friendly w/each other.

Of these four breeds, the Rouen is the friendliest (will let me pat him a little and eats out of my hand, if I try ,w hich I don't much).

They come when I call (or mutter/quack if they're resting somewhere). I can herd them where I want them to go and they are a nice flock.

Good luck w/your choice, incubation and brooding. Wait until you see how fast they grow, it is AMAZING!

ps, a friend of mine has two Pekins and they are very friendly (but her two grandaughters played with them a few times a week).

ive decided im getting runners!

The call ducks are only loud when one of them gets separated from the rest but they are quiet at night. But perhaps I don't notice the noise as they are a bit away from the house. Come to think of it my neigbour has three calls and I never hear them very often. I kind of like the noise they make anyway. Wheck wheck wheck wheck..............(thats the noise)

Get Khaki Campbells i have 3 and they are so friendly, great layers, queit, tidy, and a nice size and don't need a pond. Take my advice they are the best duck breed, heres a pic
3156983.jpg
smile.png
sad.png
big_smile.png

32 feet is more than enough space for two ducks...

My two duckies have about 28 square feet in their current pen, and will have about 30 in their new pen... but this does ot include their pool...

The pool shoudl go outside of the pen or the pen should be made longer.

I personally love runners...

Pretty much any breed of duck can be nice and any breed of duck can be mean... it's all in how you raise them. If they are handled alot as babies, you don't scare them badly by lounging over them or chasing them, and you provide lots of yummy treats...

My two give hugs and love to be pet. they love to be held and cuddled... they were raised seperatly to two different brooders because of an age gap of two weeks. I've also had expeience of raising bbies together and they were not as nice as my two who were seperate. I raised another two runners for a friend seperatly and they are just as sweet as my two.

Back
Top Bottom