Can anyone advise me on breeding, on getting fertile eggs for hatching

Jody

Songster
10 Years
Nov 8, 2009
Epping, NH
I've been anxious to get some fertile eggs of my own and do some hatching. I was trying to decide which breed(s) I like best and thought I wanted to breed some Silver Spangled Hamburgs, which I still do want to do, but need a rooster first..

Anyway, today via craigslist I got a free Buff Orpington rooster.. I just wanted him cause I saw his photo and thought he was pretty.. I like the Buff Orpingtons.. but I don't have any.. But I do have a pair of Buff Rocks and I thought perhaps I could breed the BO with the BR just so I can hatch some eggs and end up with more egg layers, plus I love having little pullets running around, lol.. watching them run around chasing dragon flies is so funny and cute...

anyway, these hens are roughly around 10wks old and the rooster is 11wks old and I know the hens should be ready for laying their first eggs at around 20 to 24wks, but what I do not know is, at what age will my rooster start trying to have intercourse with the chickens?

When I want to have fertile eggs, I suppose I need to keep the roo and pair of hens together in a run til I get fertile eggs, right? How many times, or days does it take?

Suppose hypothetically they're at the right ages now, and he mates her tonight, and she lays an egg tomorrow.. will it be a fertilized egg, or is it the next one? Would a rooster mate two hens in one night so I can have two eggs to hatch together?

Anyway, I'm looking for advice and tips on what to do so I can hatch a couple eggs..

Also, if I have fertile eggs in the future that I do not want to hatch myself, do people buy or want cross breed eggs for hatching?

What about unknown cross breed eggs? I ask this because if I allow the roo to free range with all the hens, and next day I collect eggs, I won't know which egg is which hens, though I know any fertile ones that he is the father cause I only have this one roo.

I'm certainly not gonna hatch every fertile egg that comes my way, but figure, if an older hen dies, I can hatch new ones.. or, I can raise some as meat.. cull and process at whatever weeks old and then hatch new ones and repeat... I suppose cross breed chickens taste just like any other.. right?

OH, and also.. I suppose fertile eggs are still edible... are they? Any different than a non fertile one other than a little embryo or whatever inside it?

Last edited:
you would end up with crossbred chickens that will probably be buff in color. they would probably taste like any other dual purpose chicken. fertilized eggs are edilble but should be refrigerated first. i eat them every day because i leave the roosters with the hens year round. if you scroll down from the article there is a lot more information there.

I think you would get a good chicken with the cross off the orpington rooster and your hens. You rooster will be ready to breed long before your hens lay eggs. I would let the rooster run with the hens all the time that way your eggs will be fertil for sure. I suppose one time will make your hens fertil and i have read that a egg will be fertil for 3 weeks after the rooster is no longer with the hens. I say again if you can just let the rooster run with the hens all the time if you can.
as for the cross breeds they will likly be a better chicken than the parents because of hybrid vigor which makes a better chick usually.
The hamburg hens will lay white eggs and your buff rocks will lay brown eggs and you could tell the difference that way but if you decide to let the rooster mate and then take the hen away I would say her eggs would be fertil in a 3 days . I would do a search on the computer and see what information is on the net that would help you.
as for selling the cross breeds most people want pure breed chickens but some people just want chickens so if you want to sell your birds you should be able too sell them.

I have a roo and hen, pair of Silver Hamburgs, just under a year old. I'm not very fond of the breed, (they are flighty lay small eggs), and was going to make soup of them. If you can find a way up to Vermont they are yours! I live in Bristol.

Quote:
Wow. I love the SS and think they're beautiful chickens.. Flighty, yes.. We call ours the road runner cause she's such a fast runner. I wish I could make it up there, unfortunately, I think it's too far for me.

anyway, these hens are roughly around 10wks old and the rooster is 11wks old and I know the hens should be ready for laying their first eggs at around 20 to 24wks, but what I do not know is, at what age will my rooster start trying to have intercourse with the chickens?

Depends on the individual for the rooster to be interested. It could be as early as 12 weeks but more likely around 16 weeks. That does not mean the pullets will cooperate. They have to mature too and it usually takes them longer. It is normally not good to try to hatch pullet eggs. People do but the hatch rate is often not very good. The eggs are smaller and the chick does not always have enough room to pip and zip. I have a much better hatch rate if I use eggs from older pullets, at least 9 months old. A year old would probably be better.

When I want to have fertile eggs, I suppose I need to keep the roo and pair of hens together in a run til I get fertile eggs, right? How many times, or days does it take? Suppose hypothetically they're at the right ages now, and he mates her tonight, and she lays an egg tomorrow.. will it be a fertilized egg, or is it the next one? Would a rooster mate two hens in one night so I can have two eggs to hatch together?

You are pretty sure of fertile eggs three days after a mating. It takes about 25 hours for an egg to got through the egg factory inside a hen and the egg can be fertilized only in the first 15 minutes of that journey. They usually stay fertile for about 2 weeks after a mating, anywhere from 9 to 17 days on avarage, but there are exceptions both ways.

A rooster will normally keep a flock of 10 to 12 hens fertile. Many can handle several more, but 10 to 12 is the given rule of thumb for your breeds to be real sure of fertility.

I suppose cross breed chickens taste just like any other.. right?

Right

OH, and also.. I suppose fertile eggs are still edible... are they? Any different than a non fertile one other than a little embryo or whatever inside it

People have been eating fertile eggs for a few thousand years. There is no difference in taste, consistency, appearance unless you know what to look for and look real close, and they will keep the same as long as you store them below the mid-70's degrees Fahrenheit.

Good luck!!!

Quote:
Wow. I love the SS and think they're beautiful chickens.. Flighty, yes.. We call ours the road runner cause she's such a fast runner. I wish I could make it up there, unfortunately, I think it's too far for me.

I agree they are pretty. Have fun with your breeding!

Quote:
Do bears ..... live... in the woods????

Roosters are horn dogs. When he first comes of age, if he can catch 'em or talk pretty to 'em so they'll squat without his having to chase 'em, he will mate with as many hens as he can. In 10 minutes or an hour, much less a day (or night)!

They do develop their favorites, though. And some hens just won't submit.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom