Can anyone explain chocolate sex-link to me?

Casastash

Songster
Nov 27, 2017
Argyle, Manitoba Canada
730F0DBD-3697-467B-891E-6844F9DEF2B6.jpeg
i have beautiful chocolate Orpington rooster that I planned to breed to my buffs and I was explained the pullets would be chocolate and the cockerels will be black...

Now my husband wants to use him on all our hens ( backyard flock no real rhyme or reason) we just love him so much my hubby doesn’t want any other roosters for the other hens we have.

We have:

BCM
RIR
Australorp

In addition to the Orpingtons does the same principle apply or is it all messed up because of the different breeds? Just curious :) TIA!

Thank you so much!!!! We are just preparing to start incubating under our broody and want to get all our ducks (lol) .....( omg I’m such a loser!) in a row!

No problem! Btw, all the males will be chocolate splits, meaning they will carry chocolate but not show it... breeding any of those over your current hens, or over the chocolate females, or even your chocolate back over his daughters, will not be sex-linked... just the ones from your chocolate male over non-chocolate females...

Good luck on your hatch! :fl

Any offspring from him that turns out chocolate will be female... he can only pass on 1 chocolate gene to his offspring and it takes 2 to make a chocolate male...

Keep in mind, your blacks from the buff and others will have/carry leakage, but your sex-link principle is sound... :)
Do you know if this works in turkeys? :pop

The cross I was hoping would work is chocolate tom over Bourbon red hen? TIA

Do you know if this works in turkeys? :pop

The cross I was hoping would work is chocolate tom over Bourbon red hen? TIA
Chocolate in turkeys is sex linked like in chickens.
Chocolate tom would be black based 2 copies chocolate. Bourbon red hens would be bronze based 2 copies recessive red.
Male poults would appear black. Female poults will appear brown.
That's assuming everything is pure. Some chocolates are not pure.

Chocolate in turkeys is sex linked like in chickens.
Chocolate tom would be black based 2 copies chocolate. Bourbon red hens would be bronze based 2 copies recessive red.
Male poults would appear black. Female poults will appear brown.
That's assuming everything is pure. Some chocolates are not pure.
X2

Back
Top Bottom