Can anyone give advise please?

Rynn

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
Hi everyone,
I have a young silkie hen who has just started laying.
She now has 10 eggs and still doesn't seem to want to sit on them. Twice I have found her sat on them for a few hours in the morning but the rooster seems to coax her out and thats it! Its only her and the cock atm as haven't been able to get another silkie hen to put with them.

What should I do? I don't have a bator yet. will her getting on and off affect the eggs incubation? Is it the roosters fault? and is there anyway I can incourage her to be broody?

I've been waiting ages for some babies and starting to think its never gonna happen.

Thanks all in advance.

Rynn

If she just started laying then I would eat the eggs for a while and not worry about her setting. Early eggs often don't fare well. Also, you need to check and make sure they're fertile. I recently had to trim a silkies feathers around her vent because fertility was very hit & miss with her.

Some hens don't get the idea about setting for a while. You'll just have to be patient. I'd get a set of fake eggs (or golf balls) and fill the nest with about 8 of those. Take the eggs each day until you see her consistently setting on her eggs for about a week. Then replace the golf balls with eggs (write the date on each egg in case she lays more).

When she's ready to set the roo will NOT be able to coax her off the nest.

Thanks I will do that, I don't think there is a problem with the eggs being fertile as I have seen it happening and I could see her vent.
How long can I keep the eggs after I have taken them away?

Thanks

Silkies are known for their broodiness. But a hen usually will accumulate a certain amount of eggs prior to the actual broodiness. But If you wish to leave the eggs in there to see if she does begin to brood go ahead. The likelihood of her being brood after another 2 eggs or so may just be around the corner. If you want to give it more time that is your choice. If you want to remove them for a later batch that can also be an option. But again you need to make that decision.

Is your hen beginning to cluck and fluff up her feathers? Because that can mean she may be getting close to broodiness too.

Back
Top Bottom