Can Anyone guess what types of Chicks these are??

Happydaze

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 15, 2010
Hello, I bought some Rhode Island Red hens and they were with a variety of different Roosters and I don't know what kind. We hatched some of their eggs at my Daughter's school and here is the outcome! Any guesses?? Also, can you tell the sex of them at one week old? To me it seems that there are 3 of them with a little bit of a larger comb than the other. The ones with the "larger" comb are the black one, the striped one, and the more reddish one, it seems the white ones and the orange faced white one have smaller combs...??

57556_hatch1_016.jpg

57556_017.jpg

57556_016.jpg

57556_014.jpg

57556_013.jpg

Okay, well I guess time will tell! Any guesses on what they might be crossed with?

So I googled Black Sex link and it says that the mother would have been Barred Rock. All the mother hens were Rhode Island Reds. Plus doesn't have the White dot on top of head as Black sex links are supposed to have. Here is a shot of the mother hens.

57556_chickens_005.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Only the males have the white dot on top of their head and the females are all black with red on their faces thats why they are called sex links
because you can tell the sex when they are born by their appearences

Oh I see, So is there any truth that a sex links' mother would have to be a Barred Rock??

Back
Top Bottom