Can anyone help a new chickie mom with lots of questions?

chickiemom9

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
Central Arkansas
Hi, I am a new mom of 4 Orpington and 5 Americauna 2 week old chicks. I am in love with them already, but here is the first question. I bought a Chick-N-Hutch with the chicks. The lady at the feed store assured me they would all fit for 5 weeks but I am not believing it as they are growing soo fast. So the small coop is in the big coop outside that they will live in . It is insulated and wood sided and my husband and I went over every inch and filled every hole and crack. It is all finished inside and has a cement floor too. In another week can I just open the coop and let them out to the big coop? I plan to put lots of shavings on the floor, and hang the heat lamp over a corner for them and get bigger water and feed containers. I even thought of taking some wire and sectioning off a corner that is much bigger then what they have now. The roof also has that fiberglass roof panels down the center of the roof and lets in alot of light and keeps them quite warm in the day. Theyn just look so cramped alreadyand I can not imagine them in 3 more weeks with no where to move. The big coop is predator proop also, so does this sound do-able for the girls? I appreaciate any and all answers . thanks !
smile.png

Are you asking if they can go into the hen yard part? That depends on the outside temp. Have you read the section on raising baby chicks? Glad you love them, spend lots of time with them and they will really bond to you.

You keep lowering the temp. First week 95 degress and lower it 5 degrees each week until it is 70 degrees. If it is really warm there you may only need the light at night.

Back
Top Bottom