Can Anyone Help? Hens Not Laying???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tracie70, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tracie70

Tracie70 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2010
    Here is the story. I am really really new to this. I have about 8, 14 week old chickens. My husband built this huge coop for them and when talking to people we realized that we have a coop now that can house about 40 to 60 birds. So we got this crazy idea to buy some already laying hens. We went and bought 8 ee and 2 cochin bantam frizzles. We slowly introduced our 14 week birds to our newly laying hens and everyone seems to be doing really good together. Alright so the next day we went all running outside in the morning to collect all our eggs. LOL Nothing. So I looked up some old posts and realized most hens don't lay early in the morning and also realized that from all the stress we probably won't get alot of eggs until the hens are no longer stressed from the move. Okay it has been a week and only about 4 eggs found in the nests.
    The question is how long before they get settled in? How many eggs should we expect?
    Also my husband and myself thought this man that we bought the hens from could've saw us coming from a mile away and sold us older birds that aren't going to lay that much longer. He said they were 7 months old, Is there any way to tell....???

2. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Why are you double-posting this same question, in less than 1/2 hour?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by