Can anyone help? I have a chicken who is panting, staying in the coop and runs around the back of t

mrcush

Songster
7 Years
Nov 18, 2012
Southeast Michigan
When I first got my 4 hens last year one of them ended up getting sick and we had to quarintine her and give her antibiotics. It's been about 9 months and for some reason she sometimes stays by herself in the coop and runs around the back wall like there is something back there. Well today has been the first real nice day and she is doing it again, except she is panting like she needs to drink some water.

I fed her some greens and she ate no problem but then went back to laying in the nesting box and panting.

Does anyone know what might be going on with her? I'm a little worried about her!

It could just be that when you separated her, she became very low on the pecking order and uses the nesting box to hide from those farther up on the pecking order. The nest box may be hot to her but secure and safe feeling.
hide.gif

Thanks ParadiseFoundFarms! She just laid an egg and is now chowing on her food. I also washed her butt. It got a little dirty over the winter.

EVERY time my pullet lays she pants. maybe your bird is the same way? I know mines fixing to lay when she starts to pant. its kinda like labor. I think she's fine. mine does it EVERY other day :)

Back
Top Bottom