Can anyone help ID these "Chipmunk" Chicks??

Momma_Cluck

Songster
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
N. West Michigan
We were gifted a wonderful mix of 13 Baby Bantams for Daughters 14th Birthday...

At first were unsure-- but so far have figured out what MOST of them are: 3 Black Silkies, 4 white Silkies, 2 Sebrights, 1 Cochin (Maybe a Brahma?) and 3 that we still can't quite figure out.

They were marked like little chipmunks when we got them.. and as they feather out, they are looking like some sort of game-birds or sparrows!!

ANY ideas as to what they may be would be GREATLY appreciated!
cool.png

11744_chipmunk_chix_with_dexter_wk_2.jpg

11744_3_june_5_08.jpg

11744_ronnie_2_june12.jpg

11744_skooter_june12.jpg

I had banties like those. Mine grew up to look like banty-sized Welsummers, but laid creamy-white or tinted eggs:

Babies:

brooder_.jpg

Pullet:

Ikette_.jpg

Hen with eggs:

bantyhenwithhereggs.jpg

They have a partridge appearance, with golden neck feathers. I could never find a real breed that fit them, so I just called them my "Banty Mutts." Very calm and cute, and reliable egg layers. I loved them, but they got beat up by the bigger chooks. I rehomed them to a neighbor who had a banty roo. I miss those tasty little eggs, but they are happy in their new place
smile.png

They look like oegbs to me. What kind of comb does the cochin/brahma have? If it's a single comb, it's a cochin, if it's a pea comb, it's a brahma.

Thanks so much folks!

As for our Cochin/Brahma-- his/her comb is just budding-- but seems to be a "single".

That is her below,last 3 weeks...
her name is Kashi-- and is the sweetest, friendliest little thing!
Whenever we go in to visit, she tries to get on your hand and snuggle-in!

11744_kash_june_1st.jpg

11744_kashi2_june8th.jpg

11744_kashi_june12th.jpg

The last picture in your first post looks like my Light Brown Leghorn and she started out as a chipmunk chick. She's not a banty though.

If ya told me 20 years ago I'd be living in the boonies, tilling cow-poo into a garden by hand and raising chickens in the house (for now).......I'd have laughed ya right out of the mall!!

Your sig made me laugh. It was nearly 20 years ago when my boyfriend (now husband) talked about how he wanted to have a farm and I used to get so irritated with him! There was certainly no way I was going to be doing any farming!! Guess who's got a big old garden, 2 barns, chickens, and probably goats next year. : )​

Aw, Kashi is a Mille fleur D'Uccle bantam!!!! They are such cute birds.

As for the chipmunk striped ones, i would guess black breasted Old english game bantam.

@Dangerouschicken, your hen looks an aweful lot like the bbred OEGB hens I had too, egg colour certainly matches.

they are definately oegbs, they look like bbr (black breasted red) you can go on feathersite and see baby pictures of them. dangerouschicken you have bbr oegbs as well

I don't know what your chipmunk chicks are but I am uploading pics of my Speckled Sussex chick so you can compare. I also think that the feather legged chick is a millie fleur d'uccle. Here are the pics:
SS chick:
sschick002.jpg

millie fleur d'uccles:
growingup015.jpg

A younger pic:

duclle.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom