1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can anyone help me - my chickens have started dying!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TAJ, Oct 31, 2010.

1. TAJ

TAJ New Egg

Oct 31, 2010
    They start by getting black almost mold like spots areound their eyes, then they start shaking and scratching their heads. After a day or so they get very lethargic and just lay down. Towards the end they almost seem to be blind, they stop eating and drinking and hand feeding does not work. I have already lost 4 hens and 1 rooster, whatever it is it seems to have affected all 4 coops. I am concerned not only for the rest of our chickens, but my family as well, is it something that can be passed to us?

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Well, I think first you should take care of your chickens because I doubt it would pass to you. But it obviously must be contagious because they are all dying. HOw about checking out fowl pox?

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I am sorry for what you are going through. It could be fowl pox. Please post this in the emergencies section, more people should see it there. Not everyone looks at the new member section. Good luck. [​IMG]

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    Sorry to hear about your chickens. [​IMG]

5. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Sounds like fowl pox, do you have a picture of the heads of these birds?

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Sorry to welcome you under such circumstances. Pictures of your afflicted birds would really help figure out what might be making them ill (in the emergencies section). Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by