Can anyone help me please?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lukewride, Mar 27, 2009.

1. lukewride

lukewride Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    England
    I'm very new and possibly pretty nieve when it comes to incubating and candleing eggs and wondered whether anyobne could help me out a bit.

i recently found myself with a really broody light sussex hen and thought i'd try to make the most of it and put some possibly fertile silver laced wyandotte eggs under her.
    now, she's sat on them consistantly for the last 3 days as you would expect taking rare breaks to eat, drink and fight the other chickens (which is normal when shes broody lol).

I candled the eggs earlier this evening which is the 3rd night to see what was gonig on and there were light speckles, not alot else and no signs of any blobs or veins i've been told to expect.

after some investigation i learnt that this could be a bacteria infection and the eggs are basically failed.

is this true? because i dont want to leave my hen on the eggs if they are a failed cause.

sorry to babble.. just trying to give all the info i can..
    any help would be appredciated..

thanks!!
    Luke

2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    If it has only been three days then it is way too early to know for sure. Give them until about day 8 and then try it again.

Welcome to BYC!!![​IMG]

3. lukewride

Mar 27, 2009
    England
    Brilliant, thats what i had hoped.

Thanks alot for your help.. i'll keep those fingers crossed then!

by the 8th day shoudld i see a definate sign of life then? and what should i expect?
    just veins and blobs? lol...

4. joy

joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Lancashire England
    Lots of veins and movement if you can see through the eggs

5. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    [​IMG] !!! I usually candle anywhere from days 8-10. Like Joy said, you should be able to see veins and possibly a little moving black blob which is the embryo. Can't always see it, but if you at least see veins you're fine.

6. lukewride

Mar 27, 2009
    England
    brilliant!
    you've all been very helpfull unlike the mumbling unreliable farmers my area seems to be plagued with..
    i'll check them in 5 days and report my findings.

thanks again..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by