can anyone help me ,what are these

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by glenda, Oct 5, 2008.

1. glenda

glenda Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2007
    N.E.Texas
    [​IMG].jpg[/img]

sorry guys I don't know how to post pics for crap

can anyone tell me what type of pupas these are and if my chickens can have them,I was cleaning out an old chicken waste/feed compost bin and there was thousand of these ugly thing in it but I thought the chickens would love them if you guys thank it safe
    but I can email you a pic of them if you want to please give me your oppion

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    My chickens eat anything they find. Chances of those being outside are high, so I think they'd be fine. They're just bugs.

4. glenda

Sep 29, 2007
    N.E.Texas
    did you put that pic up for me thank you so much your a doll.but they came from the waste clean up of old chicken dropping and wasted feed ,you still thank they'ed be ok

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I think they'd be fine to eat. I watched every one of my chickens check out a caterpillar the other day. I was curious if they would eat it because I know this particular type of caterpillar has spines on it's back that sting. Every single one of them looked at it and then passed it by. They seem to know what's okay to eat and what's not. Of course I do have a rooster that ate a hornet when he was young. It stung him somewhere between his beak and his crop. He's never attempted to eat another one.

6. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
  7. glenda

Sep 29, 2007
    N.E.Texas
    [​IMG]

maby this will show the outher photo of these pupas and someone can tell me what they thank they are thanks

8. kalaim

kalaim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    The first picture looks like bot fly larvae I have taken out of wild rabbits that I have rehabbed?

But I can't say for sure, sorry.

9. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    Black soldier fly

10. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I didn't know what they were, but I have fed them to my chickens and my bearded dragon.
    I feed most bugs etc that I come across to my bearded dragon or my chickens. My chickens won't touch spiders or bees or wasps. I did see one of my chickens eat a spider once a long time ago. She lived, but never ate another one as far as I know. They are a lot smarter than people give them credit for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by