Can anyone help me with a chicken feed problem with my 1 year old chickens and my 7 and 8 week old c

ChickenLover114

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013
I wanted to put my chicks in with the older chicks but every time I try, the chicks eat the older chicks egg production feed and they won't eat there feed. I tried putting it higher so they can't reach it but the older chickens can but they still eat it and the older chickens eat the chick feed not there egg production feed. Is the any one who has a idea how I can stop the chicks from eating the older chickens feed?

I wanted to put my chicks in with the older chicks but every time I try, the chicks eat the older chicks egg production feed and they won't eat there feed. I tried putting it higher so they can't reach it but the older chickens can but they still eat it and the older chickens eat the chick feed not there egg production feed. Is the any one who has a idea how I can stop the chicks from eating the older chickens feed?
welcome-byc.gif
What I suggest you should do is put your chickens on a feed called "Flock Raiser" then they can all eat it together with no problem or you should put them all on growers pellets and supply the older hens with oyster shells (growers pellets lacks calcium).

You can feed everyone chick starter/grower if it is unmedicated. Provide oyster shell on the side. You can also buy Flock Raiser and feed that to everyone with oyster shell on the side.

If you are feeding medicated chick starter then I'd just consider switching over to Flock Raiser or Grower feed for a time- but keep a look out for coccidiosis signs - as you would anyway. Generally it hits chicks 8 weeks and under anyway.

You won't want your little ones to eat layer feed until they are laying- usually at 5-6 months of age. To get rid of your layer feed (because feed will only keep for 3-4 months under optimal conditions- I'd just mix it into the feed VERY slowly so it doesn't hurt the kidneys of the new babies.

Last edited:
Also I forgot to mention that if you want your protein level to be at the starter/grower level (17%) instead of 20% when you feed Flock Raiser, you can mix in a little grain. Just be sure that they are receiving greens, like grazing on grass or alfalfa for vitamins since you would be cutting the vitamins as well. You would only want to mix in a little bit of grain because your layers need lots of protein as do the babies.

There is a school of thought that it is better for teenage chickens to not be at the 20% level for future reproductive health. Anyhow, they are old enough to be at a 17% level, no problem.

Back
Top Bottom