Can anyone help me with feed?

Chrissy D

Chirping
Feb 3, 2021
Magnolia, TX
Originally I was only going to have hens.... I have added some younger pullets and a rooster. I feed an organic layer feed And I know the extra calcium is not good for pullets or roosters. My rooster is a bantam. The pullets are kept in a grow out pen until 16 weeks of age. However, I have had a hen go broody and have stuffed 2 chicks under her a week ago. I have them set up with chick starter away from the other girls. All is going well. Today I saw my broody hen pulling feed from the feeder and dropping it down on the ground for the little 8 day olds. I raised the feeder so the tiny birds couldn‘t get into the layer feed. Well long story short, looking for an organic, good protein level, feed. One I can feed all these birds at different stages without hurting anyone. Also, will feeding back shells and eggs be enough for the layers? Some layers I have refuse to eat oyster shells. Thanks In advance for your input!

Chrissy

Usually you can feed all of them Chick Starter if you have younger ones mixed with others. Possibly All Flock as well but I don't remember off the top of my head if that one is good for chicks. Obviously, you'd be looking for organic versions of these. :)

Do you like Steinhausers or TSC for your feed purchases? Never mind, neither appears to carry an organic all flock.

No, feeding back eggshells isn't enough. You will need some form of calcium enrichment - mine don't like the 50# bag of mannapro oyster shell, but ate the far more expensive 7# bag from another mfg. They eat it now, however. Still don't like it, but they do eat it.

Look to Modesto Milling, about $60/bag if you have to go through Chewy.com for their Starter/Grower, which can be fed all life stages. Kalmbacj is half the price, and "All Natural" which does not mean "Organic" - Otherwise you could get Nutrena "NatureWise" at TSC at a similar price point. Purina now has an Organic line, but its not a full line, and I don't know who is stocking it - you would use their Starter/Grower. Scratch and Peck has Organics, too - they are known for it - but no idea who stocks in your area.

Today I saw my broody hen pulling feed from the feeder and dropping it down on the ground for the little 8 day olds.
My broody hens do that too.

I raised the feeder so the tiny birds couldn‘t get into the layer feed.
By the time my chicks are two weeks old they are flying up to the raised feeders, they don't need the broody to get it for them.

Well long story short, looking for an organic, good protein level, feed. One I can feed all these birds at different stages without hurting anyone.
I don't know what your "good" protein level is but look at the labels. Any feed that meets your protein levels and has about 1% calcium content will work. Layer should have around 4% calcium, too high for growing chicks. For young chicks you don't want pellets, crumble is probably best. Names like Starter, Grower, Starter-Grower, All-Flock, and Flock Raiser are just marketing names. Don't get too hung up on those. Look at the percent protein that you like and keep the calcium content relatively low, they will all work.

Also, will feeding back shells and eggs be enough for the layers?
Your egg shells will tell you. Chickens can get calcium from different sources. Some plants provide calcium. Certain creepy-crawlies provide calcium. If your native rock is high in calcium like limestone they may get all the calcium they need from that. They get calcium from what we feed them. If they are not eating oyster shell but their egg shells are hard they are getting enough from somewhere.

Chickens use some of the calcium they eat for body functions. Growing chickens use calcium for bone growth. That's why those other feeds have a low amount of calcium in them. So just feeding them back their shells is not enough if that is all the calcium they are getting. Also, their body doesn't digest all the calcium that they eat. Some goes right on through undigested and out the back end. That's why compost made with chicken manure is usually so good for a garden, the extra calcium is good for plants. If your chickens are getting some calcium from other sources but it's not quite enough, feeding them the egg shells might be enough to put them over the top. The real test is the eggs they lay. If the shells are hard enough they are getting enough somewhere.

Some layers I have refuse to eat oyster shells
If the egg shells are hard they don't need it. If they are getting enough from some other source the oyster shell you offer them may last years before you need a refill. I have to refill mine more often than that though.

I don't know what your "good" protein level is but look at the labels. Any feed that meets your protein levels and has about 1% calcium content will work. Layer should have around 4% calcium, too high for growing chicks. For young chicks you don't want pellets, crumble is probably best. Names like Starter, Grower, Starter-Grower, All-Flock, and Flock Raiser are just marketing names. Don't get too hung up on those. Look at the percent protein that you like and keep the calcium content relatively low, they will all work.
Thank you so much this is so very helpful. I am newer to chickens, I know with other animals protein levels are reduced as the animal gets older. Too much protein can be harmful too! What is a good protein amount for chickens?

Look to Modesto Milling, about $60/bag if you have to go through Chewy.com for their Starter/Grower, which can be fed all life stages. Kalmbacj is half the price, and "All Natural" which does not mean "Organic" - Otherwise you could get Nutrena "NatureWise" at TSC at a similar price point. Purina now has an Organic line, but its not a full line, and I don't know who is stocking it - you would use their Starter/Grower. Scratch and Peck has Organics, too - they are known for it - but no idea who stocks in your area.
Thank you so much for the input. I have small independent feed stores that can order in for me. I am more concerned about making sure these birds get what they need. Not too much protein or Calcium, I prefer a non-corn as Texas summers are so HOT. All input is so welcomed and appreciated!

Well long story short, looking for an organic, good protein level, feed. One I can feed all these birds at different stages without hurting anyone. Also, will feeding back shells and eggs be enough for the layers? Some layers I have refuse to eat oyster shells.
I feed a Starter-Grower feed 18% to all ages of chickens.

My local TSC carries 3 brands of Organic Starter Grower feed.
Purina Organic, Nature's Best Organic and DuMOR Organic Starter Grower feeds.
Myself I like the Nature's Best brand, but would buy either one of the others if it was sold out.

Myself I don't feed Organic. Nutrena Naturewise is my favorite Non-Medicated feed.
Purina Medicated Start & Grow is what I feed to Chicks for 10 weeks.
I currently have both feeds as I have Chicks and Hens.
My Hens consume Manna-Pro Oyster Shells without hesitancy. 1 and 2.5 years old.
They've never had a Layers feed.

I do introduce them to Oyster Shells in a separate container at 15 weeks old.

It could be hard to get hens to consume Oyster Shells if they've had Layers feed since point of lay. GC

I lived in Bastrop TX till two years ago - I recall the summers. Consider offering feed as a wet mash, oatmeal like consistency. Will help in the summers to ensure they don't gobble up dry food than have problems with water intake. Some are big fans of fermented feed - I'm neutral on it - if it happens, it happens. But feeding crumple as oatmeal reduces waste and helps ensure my birds get plenty of water with their feed and don't gorge in the heat.

and glad you can "order in".

What is a good protein amount for chickens?
You can get a lot of different opinions on this. Some people like to feed a relatively high level of protein. I don't. For young chicks I'm quite happy with an 18% or 20% level as a Starter. When I raise turkeys with them I bump that up to 24% for a few weeks. It did not seem to hurt the chickens but that was just the first few weeks, consider that unusual. Usually when the bag of feed runs out I drop the protein to a 16% Grower. That may be at 4 weeks , it may be at 8 weeks. I don't worry about the exact time, that's just a detail. If the bag lasted until 12 weeks I'd be happy. That's pretty much where they are for the rest of their lives until I get another batch of chicks when the protein levels go back up for a few weeks.

They all eat the same feed, chicks, laying hens and rooster. Oyster shells are offered on the side.

Back
Top Bottom