Can anyone help me :(

TLJR

Hatching
6 Years
May 3, 2013
I've had quails for around 1 1/2 months now. I thought I had 6 females and 2 males but I think I've been done! I have actually got 3 males maybe more. Anyway my problem is I went in yesterday and discovered my favourite quail Quincy who is male just sitting there doing nothing. I picked him up and it looks as though his eyes have either been pecked out or swollen shut (one was completely shut the other I can't tell if it is slightly open and there is no eye) he also has a tiny bit of clear nasal discharge. I am heartbroken I have separated the other males and left him in with the girls (they are all very placid) I've been in to see him this morning and he is still just sitting there :'( . Do you think he has been attacked or is he poorly? Any answers would be much appreciated :)

If there is blood I would guess he has been pecked. If no blood or scabs then he's probably sick.

If he's been pecked, do as TwoCrows always suggests and isolate him, keep him warm, keep him hydrated and offer any food he will take. I've also used an antibiotic eye ointment in this situation which has worked well. He may be in shock and needs to be gently nursed until he feels better.

If he is ill then I'm afraid I don't recognise the symptoms but I am sure people here will have useful info for you.

Good luck and I hope he gets better quickly!

Cheers
B

Thank you both very much for your replies :)
I can't say I noticed any blood, I'm taking him back to the guy I got him from as he is very experienced with quails, hopefully he will be able to tell me what is wrong with him. Although I have a horrible feeling that he is going to tell me that there isn't much that can be done for Quincy

I'll come back on and update how things go.

Thanks again guys :)

Sphanges has you on the right track. You need to get this bird under heat. Injury can send birds into shock. Shock can kill them quicker than the injury. When the body goes shocky, it gets very cold. So jack up the heat to 85+ degrees in a separate cage.

You have too many males together. You can not keep them this way. One male to 5 to 7 females. He was no doubt pecked. You will need to add females to these males or take the excess males back.

Keep us posted. :)

Just a quick update, my beautiful baby has died even though I had turned his cage heat up to 85o (I separated him into his own cage this morning) I am totally heartbroken. I had an appointment for him at the vets this evening too.

Thank you all for your replies though. I'm glad I've found this forum with all of you lovely, helpful people :)

So sorry about your baby.
hugs.gif

I'm really sorry he didn't make it. The first few times this sort of thing happened always hit me really hard because I felt really guilty. As time goes on I realised that I did the best I could in the situation and learned many lessons for next time. I hope you will be easy on yourself because it sounded like you took really good care of him.

Cheers
B

Back
Top Bottom