Can anyone help ? Quail zipped last night still not hatched

ivy_huan

Songster
May 31, 2022
Can someone please help
I have a quail zipped last night around 9pm
It's 2pm now and still not hatched
Can I peel away some shell for him
I have 6 chicken eggs in there that has external pipped too.
Is it safe

Very, very carefully, peel a little bits of the shell away to expose the membrane. Has he broken through it anywhere? Is there any blood? If you see blood, he's not ready! Stop immediately, gently blot the bloody area until bleeding stops, and put him back in the incubator. If no blood, you can very very carefully peel a TINY bit of membrane along the zipline. STOP the moment you see any bleeding! You may find the membrane stuck to his feathers or body - if so, use a Q-tip moistened with a bit of warm water or coconut oil (not dripping! you don't want to drown him) to moisten the membrane. I've used a damp rag to wrap the whole egg in, and keep it warm. After a bit, the membrane should loosen. As long as he's still moving and breathing, leave him be. He will need to rest for long periods in between efforts to hatch. Once he pushes part of the shell off but is still cupped in part of the egg, do NOT attempt to help him finish getting out. He may still be absorbing yolk and if you rush this part, it can kill him. He'll push out when he's ready, and the umbilical cord will dry up a bit and detach when the time is right.

Very, very carefully, peel a little bits of the shell away to expose the membrane. Has he broken through it anywhere? Is there any blood? If you see blood, he's not ready! Stop immediately, gently blot the bloody area until bleeding stops, and put him back in the incubator. If no blood, you can very very carefully peel a TINY bit of membrane along the zipline. STOP the moment you see any bleeding! You may find the membrane stuck to his feathers or body - if so, use a Q-tip moistened with a bit of warm water or coconut oil (not dripping! you don't want to drown him) to moisten the membrane. I've used a damp rag to wrap the whole egg in, and keep it warm. After a bit, the membrane should loosen. As long as he's still moving and breathing, leave him be. He will need to rest for long periods in between efforts to hatch. Once he pushes part of the shell off but is still cupped in part of the egg, do NOT attempt to help him finish getting out. He may still be absorbing yolk and if you rush this part, it can kill him. He'll push out when he's ready, and the umbilical cord will dry up a bit and detach when the time is right.
Thanks for the reply
I did end up helping a little.
I took off some pieces from the top this morning thinking he would have popped out. This afternoon. I took it out and wet along the zip and slowly peeled off till around half way mark when i noticed him trying to push the shell and she'll seems to be loose enough. I put him back. He hatched out in 10 mins but stumbling.
Then I noticed another problem 😂😂 one of my chicken eggs pipped has yellow ish membrane. I took that one out and wet and peel off the pip spot. I can see the beak and heard chirping . Put a damp paper towel and put him back in the incubator

Back
Top Bottom