Can Anyone Help Sexing a Phoenix?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickie Mamma, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, New here.. she is about 10 weeks (we think and hope she is a she) [​IMG] Any suggestions on the sex. Any guesses would be appreciated! Thanks..
    [​IMG]

2. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

got a pic of her tail?? looks hennish to me...thus far [​IMG]

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I would say....definately a hen!

4. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Wow you guys are quick [​IMG] Her tail is pretty long (well, compared to the silkies I have) I ordered silkie eggs and 10 hatched. She was the oddball. The person I got the eggs from said she had some Phoenix's mixed with the silkies. ( She thinks she is a Silkie ) [​IMG] Thanks for the replies!!

5. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    At that age you should see good comb development on a male. I have some that are about 1 1/2 months and the males already have good combs.

She is pretty.

6. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    I thought her comb was a little small. She doesn't try to fight with the other males. She steers clear from them. I didn't know if she was just timid. I don't know much about Phoenix's. I know the males tails can reach 10 to 20 feet (I was told). She won the vote to stay easily by my 3 kids. The boys go to a local farm that we visit. The kids will be happy to know she can stay. She is even more docile and friendly than the Silkies.

7. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Being we are on the topic... what does anyone think of this one?? Boy or Girl? His (?) name is Tyson (as in the nuggets).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    This one is Perdue.. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/9198_img_3113.jpg[/URL][img]
    Its so frustrating trying to sex these guys. I don't want to make a mistake sending the wrong ones to the farm. I love the challenge though. [IMG]http://209.222.104.187/img/smilies/roll.png

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by